hi people! this is my first post here.

i had no clue as the where to post this question from the list of forums, and since i have Vista this was my only viable link... so sorry if its in the wrong place.

i searched for this query, but as a result of not really knowing what to search for my hunt was fruitless.

i need to speed up my bit torrent downloads(i think stuff is getting blocked etc) but am unsure of exactly what to do. i'm pretty sure i need to reconfigure the firewall ports in some way shape or form, and possibly the NAT(i don't know what this is or does)
can anyone help with this if they get the jist of my problem? to be blunt i know fuck all about computers and tweaking things i don't understand puts the fear up me.

any advice will be much appreciated. thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

there are many ways of changing the ports that bit torrent runs through but before i tell you, please keep in mind that the reason that most donloads are slow is because not enough people are seeding. but anyway the first way to do it is to open your internet browser and type in your configuration number of your router in the ardress bar, if your not sure what yours is then try 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0 then try and find port connections, sorry that i cant tell you exactly how to get there as im sure i dont have the same router as you!
then change the ports for bit torrent to:

6881 to 6889
hope you find it!

xx

First off give me some more information so i can help you out better.

What bittorrent client are you using and what version is it?

Do you have DSL or CABLE?

Are you using a Router and Modem or a modem alone?

What is the brand of your modem\router?

Does your computer have a lan ip address or an internet ip address:

click the start button then "all programs" then "command prompt".
Now in the command prompt window type "ipconfig" and press enter

Now what does it say your IPv4 address is? (please only post the first 2 set of numbers for your own protection. the number is in the x.x.x.x format)

Bit torrent runs off ports. If you set your bit torrent to work on ports 1300 you need to open up ports 1300-13xx (where xx is is how many connections you want to have (seeds)) However, saying that then opens up many ports for people to "hack/crack" into your system sooooooo do what you want with the information, but don't blame me if anything goes sour.

right heres a few simple steps:

First open you bit torrent client and go to options and look to see what port it is listening on it will be a random port. Make a note of this for later.
Then go to start and in the search at the bottom type cmd and press enter.
This will bring up a command prompt and type ipconfig.
You want to look at the top of this commands output and you want your default gateway. This will be an ip address like 192.168. * . *. Type this into your internet explorer this will take you to your routers home page.
Login if necessary and go to advanced and then admin or firewall or application are the most common one.
You will then be able to add the bit lord client and set the port.

If that dont work pm me and tell me what router you have and your bit torrent client and i will help you further.

First off give me some more information so i can help you out better.

What bittorrent client are you using and what version is it?

Do you have DSL or CABLE?

Are you using a Router and Modem or a modem alone?

What is the brand of your modem\router?

Does your computer have a lan ip address or an internet ip address:

click the start button then "all programs" then "command prompt".
Now in the command prompt window type "ipconfig" and press enter

Now what does it say your IPv4 address is? (please only post the first 2 set of numbers for your own protection. the number is in the x.x.x.x format)

Hi there,

you sound like you know your stuff, I'm wondering if you can help me tweak my firewall(s) and ports

I feel like i'm half way to getting my bit torrent downloads running properly

here is my setup:
windows vista
cable modem that connects into linksys router ...the pc for the torrents goes thru the router but not wirelessly...

using the Bit Torrent program as my torrent software

ok, now...i know how to open up the linksys console page and put in the port numbers and how to locate my ip address, but i'm very confused on which numbers go where etc.

from what i have gathered (and please correct me when i'm wrong, b/c i will be) i put 6881 to 6889 in the linksys port forwarding page along w/ the last few numbers of my ip address + enable.......... then i know how to get to the point where i have the ability to open a port on the windows firewall but i don't know what port number to type in....

your time and help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!

confused,
Jack

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.