Member Avatar
freesoft_2000
Practically a Master Poster
623 posts since Jun 2004
Reputation Points: 9 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 11 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

hi everyone,

I am currently using windows 98 and want to find out what the port number and computer name and ip address for my computer is. Is there a way or a file i can go to get the answers to my above questions.
My e-mail is freesoft_2000@yahoo.com

Any amount of help is deeply appreciated.

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Member Avatar
caperjack
I hate 20 Questions
13,851 posts since Aug 2003
Reputation Points: 875 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 902 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 69 [?]
Team Colleague

Right click mycomputer/properties will give you most info about your computer or control panel, system icon .not sure what port # you are refering to.
Ip address .type winipconfg in start/run i think will work ,I haven't used win98 for a couple of yrs now .

Member Avatar
DMR
Wombat At Large
6,809 posts since Dec 2003
Reputation Points: 152 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 380 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 11 [?]
Team Colleague

Ip address .type winipconfg in start/run i think will work ,I haven't used win98 for a couple of yrs now .

"winipcfg" is the correct spelling, but yes- that will give you all of your IP configuration info.

In terms of your question about the port #, you would have to clarify that by giving us more specific information. Network applications and/or services all use different ports, but that info isn't anything you usually have to configure or worry about.

Member Avatar
Naveen
Light Poster
25 posts since Jul 2004
Reputation Points: 4 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]

port nos. vary depeding on the protocol using them.

in command prompt u can run "netstat -a" to see what protocols are running,their port nos. their conn. status etc.

Member Avatar
freesoft_2000
Practically a Master Poster
623 posts since Jun 2004
Reputation Points: 9 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 11 [?]

hi everyone,
What i am doing is writing a simple socket program using c++ to connect to another pc. The socket properties requires a port number and computer name to connect to that particular pc. Thus this what i am trying to find out is how to get the other pc's port number and computer name

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Member Avatar
DMR
Wombat At Large
6,809 posts since Dec 2003
Reputation Points: 152 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 380 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 11 [?]
Team Colleague

The port you connect to will depend on the protocol you are using to communicate and what service you expect to have listening for a connection on the machine you're connecting to. The official list of port assignments can be found here:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

Member Avatar
madeolu
Newbie Poster
1 post since Feb 2010
Reputation Points: 0 [?]

hi,
what i want to know is to find out the source "Port Number" of a known IP Address. I am not talking about my own IP address.
thank u
madeolu

Member Avatar
jamal1234
Newbie Poster
1 post since Mar 2010
Reputation Points: 0 [?]

*bleep* this crappy website i want to know how to find people ip address and port number *bleep* this *bleep* website

Member Avatar
caperjack
I hate 20 Questions
13,851 posts since Aug 2003
Reputation Points: 875 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 902 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 69 [?]
Team Colleague

*bleep* this crappy website i want to know how to find people ip address and port number *bleep* this *bleep* website

AH, did your mommy give a beating on you bottom today and your all mad ,get a life

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: