ok, i recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windowsXP. but now i have the "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray, and when i click on it, it gives me the option to remove C drive, which obviously cant be done. and i just cant seem to get rid of the icon. any ideas what the prob is?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You could try this:

1/
Right click on your task bar and choose Properties on the pop-up menu.

2/
Under the heading Notification Area, find the Safely Remove Hardware icon and select the Always Hide option if it says Hide when Inactive. If it says Always Show try Always Hide.

There are minor inconveniences in selecting Always Hide because you'll have to restore the icon display if you have a USB device connected that you might wish to disconnect.

Anyway, let us know what happens.

I never seen you problem before ,if it were mine the first thing i would try is going into device manager and uninstall all the usb devices ,reboot and see what happens ,

I never seen you problem before ,if it were mine the first thing i would try is going into device manager and uninstall all the usb devices ,reboot and see what happens ,

I think the above course of action could lead to undesirable results if Akuma isn't absolutely rock steady sure of what is being disabled.

I think the above course of action could lead to undesirable results if Akuma isn't absolutely rock steady sure of what is being disabled.

yeah you may be right ,my post says if it were mine its what i would do ,im not suggesting its what they do ,my suggestion would be to take the computer to a computer shop and have it fixed .
Its a fresh install so chances are there are no other usb devices install ,and if there is they knew how to install them so they will know how to reinstall them .!!

Thx for the ideas guys, i try to format my hard drive every once in a while, just to clear the clutter n start afresh (with my important stuff backed up of course) and i had this problem b4 after reinstalling. couldnt figure it out, so reinstalled again and that time it was fine, no icon. dont really want to do that this time since I've already reinstalled most of the programs i had. putting the icon on 'always hide' wouldnt be a very good option for me either, since im always connecting and disconnecting my portable media player, would be a pain to keep, bringing the icon up manualy every time

weird ,it happened last time are you sure you don't have a usb harddrive lol

lmao yea pretty sure on that 1. jus realy confuses me, and annoys me, im a bit of a perfectionist lol dont like to see things that shouldnt be there, and cant figure out why its there. and now i've installed a second SATA drive (with help from this community) and that also shows in the 'removal list'

I've been thinking about this since I saw a laptop with an external SATA port. This means that SATA drives are hot swappable; hence it is possible that this is why it apprears in your removal list. It is theoretically removable>

My own STA sysystem doesn't offfer me the C: removal option in the icon so that's probably an untidy implementation of the SATA controller in your PC.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.