Hi everone, i came to this site for help because i am really unsure of what is going on.

I had a working computer (to put it one way but it had an out dated motherboard, recently i bought a new one and installed it with a new AMD dual core processor. I installed the memory and hooked everything up. I had changed everyhing except the hard drive which is where Windows is installed along with all my files and stuff. When i start the computer it goes thru the first few screens recognizing the devices etc.. but then after that when its supposed to go to the Windows XP loading screen with the little ba moving to the side etc.. it just stays black, then after about half a minute it flashes a blue screen and automatically restarts.... that keeps going on until i shut it off...

Can anyone help me out with what might be going on?

Thanks in advance
~~ Roiie

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

In my experience it's likely to be a hardware drivers problem. I can't guarantee that but it's what comes first to mind. Try a number of things in this order so as to build progress incrementally:

1/
Boot up and interrupt the BIOS so as to get into its settings. Check that all the settings are as you'd wish. I expect no trouble here but do it and record any anomalies.

2/
Then boot into Windows Safe Mode - it might work. You can then repair windows from there. You might need the OEM disk that came with your previous system.

3/
If that didn't work, boot to the command frompt (via F8) and repair Windows from the CD (if you have one).

Let us know what happens.

Hmm Alright, i'll try it and see how it turns out, thank you

EDIT:

The thing is i cant access windos at all, when i attempt to access safe mode it does the same thing, it goes ok until the part where the XP load windows is supposed to appear then flashes a blue screen and restars...

So it will be your drivers that's the problem and Windows will have to be repaired or re-installed.

I hope you have the OEM disk. If you can't get to the command prompt then you can usually boot off the Windows CD by holding the C key down whilst booting.

Hmm Alright, i'll try it and see how it turns out, thank you

EDIT:

The thing is i cant access windos at all, when i attempt to access safe mode it does the same thing, it goes ok until the part where the XP load windows is supposed to appear then flashes a blue screen and restars...

you must have missed my post ,i have install about 30 new motherboards over the past 5 yrs and have see you problem every time ,i usually just reload windows but on about 10 occasions a install over was wanted by customer so they wouldn't have to reload all there programs .just follow the instruction in my previsions post ,if you have full version of winxp and not a winxp recovery cd..like the one Dell and many other manufacturers use .
actually you could have avoided this if you had uninstall video/harddrive controller drivers and motherboard chipset drivers before removing the drive from old motherboard

you must have missed my post ,i have install about 30 new motherboards over the past 5 yrs and have see you problem every time ,i usually just reload windows but on about 10 occasions a install over was wanted by customer so they wouldn't have to reload all there programs .just follow the instruction in my previsions post ,if you have full version of winxp and not a winxp recovery cd..like the one Dell and many other manufacturers use .
actually you could have avoided this if you had uninstall video/harddrive controller drivers and motherboard chipset drivers before removing the drive from old motherboard

Sorry Caper, i didnt miss your post, actually its a very helpfull site, i decided to install it over (and yes i have the full xp cd, (its b4 service pack 1 so i'll have a fun time updating it)) but yeah, i pluged it back into the other motherboard and took out all my important files, will install it first thing tomorrow, but tonight i partaay :D!!

Anyways, back on topic, well im not really any kind of computer guru, so after reading yor post i was left with the doubt, how wold you uninstall all those drivers?

Thanks for all your help
~~ Roiie

, so after reading yor post i was left with the doubt, how wold you uninstall all those drivers?

Thanks for all your help
~~ Roiie

you do not need to uninstall any drivers now ,i was refering to before you removed old motherboard,,the way to remove chipset drivers and video drivers and ide controller drivers is in the device manager

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.