Hello all,

I have a continuing problem here that I can not find any articles directly related to.

After recieving Windows Update's on our XPsp2 clients here on our network from our Windows Update Server, many time's the profiles become corrupt (I assume) and then the next successful logon with that user will create the username.000 account's in documents and settings.

None of these mahchines have been through an upgrade process from NT or 2000 (which is the only article's I find in refrence to this problem). All the windows XP OS's come from a ghost image which is regurlary updated or created for new models in our footprint.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-BenRedSox

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Are you using Roaming profiles or Local profiles in your network?

The reason for could be because there is already configuration on that computer for the same username either on the same domain or a different domain.

user will create the username.000 account's in documents and settings.

None of these mahchines have been through an upgrade process from NT or 2000 (which is the only article's I find in refrence to this problem).

I got this issue when upgrading XP home to vista. Using the files and transfer wizard also seems to cause issues

This can also happen if the same User ID exists as a Domain user and local user on that machine.

They are local profiles.

we do not add any local users to the machine's

"The reason for could be because there is already configuration on that computer for the same username either on the same domain or a different domain. "

This sounds the most logical, but, we are not changing domain's or AD or anything, just windows updates applying. Seems to me that something in that process could be simulating a domain change, or perhaps SSID?

Can you login as a local admin on the machines? And on how many machines do you have this issue?

yes we do have a local admin account we can log into. This is on about 30% of the machine's here. The older their image is (oldest around2.5 years) the more incrimentle accounts there are i.e .000, .001, .002 etc. Any time we see this there is also a history of events referring to "Unable to load profile - will load temporary profile".

You are using roaming/mandatory profiles. The reason you are getting that message is because you don't have access to that location of the profiles usually (\\fileserver\profiles\username or group).

Well that being said, thats when i get that error.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.