Hi
I bought a new laptop back in febuary with the vista ultimate installed, i needed a good laptop to run programs such as cad as well as a few games when im home :), was asured this laptop was the best at the time would run everything i needed and look fancy doing it!!

Ever since i turned it on the thing has been slow and there has been endless driver problems (even the screen on it had the wrong driver and kept crashing) been in contact a few times with support they said vistas new give it time, then eventually after reinstalling vista 3 times told me to shut off all the fancy stuff like aero, moving backgrounds, transparency etc SO WHATS THE POINT OF THE ULTIMATE?? also its great when you lose the working things like tv card cant be found anymore and autocad 2007 wont even load anymore and i have to wait 15 mins minimal to be able to use it from turning it on (startup time is a joke) and networking does not exist to it!!!

got 2 other desktops and a laptop at home running xp all with lower spec and they run fine, no problems and they all connect on a network.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me???????

Are there any answers to help me????

my laptop
Phillips freevents x57
intel core 2 cpu t5500 @ 1.6ghz
1gb RAM
100gb hd
nvidia go 7400 graphics
32 bit vista ultimate

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

you dont need to do a complete reinstall to load drivers... just right click on my computer and go to device manager. most drivers are avalible already.

i must admit vista is slower tan i thought it would be... just built a new machine with a core duo 3ghz 2Gb Ram and a Gerforce 8800 gfx card... it runs fine with aero but its still not as quick as i was expecting havent had too many driver issues so far apart from my logitech quick cam which is old and needs replacing anyway.

you need at least 2g ddr if your going to be doin what u say on your comp! but philips are talkin crap and i would expect better from a big company visit there website and type in your model number they should have updated drivers by now!

Vista is a lot faster than xp on both startup and in application execution as it uses super prefetch which is a cool feature.

If your comp is running slow and you cant be bothered to buy more ram and install it buy a usb stick with ready boost some say it makes a real difference.

Super boost: It uses your usb pen as another part of memory (like ram) but its quicker as the read and write access times are quicker than ram or hdd and vista can handle up to 4g.

Yes. You only have 1gb ram.

General rule is that 1gb of ram = 512ram on XP in terms of performance, and that 2gb under vista = equibilent performance to 1gb under xp

2gb ram is needed for vista.

Vista is a lot faster than xp on both startup and in application execution

Its not. Vista HB starts up waaay slower on my machine than XP home did.

Also

If your comp is running slow and you cant be bothered to buy more ram and install it buy a usb stick with ready boost some say it makes a real difference.

Super boost: It uses your usb pen as another part of memory (like ram) but its quicker as the read and write access times are quicker than ram or hdd and vista can handle up to 4g.

is bollocks. Superfectch isnt new. Its the same principle as paging to the hard disk, which has existed for decades, and is terrible as A) memory sticks are a LOT slowe than ram and B) memory sticks die after a certain number of read/writes. If you used your USB key for superfecting intensive tasks like CAD for say, a week then your stick would be no more.

Also vista can have up to 4gb, but it cant use it efficiently. Most programs will not make use of more than 2.5/3gb

I think u will find its new to windows even if it has been around years (as you say), and if you understood it properly you would prob realise it works. It takes the programs you most frequently use including start up programs and load the first set of insturctions from the hdd to memory so when/if you open them they will open quicker. And it is totaly different to paging.

Oh my vista starts up in 30 secs and my xp took 1 minute its not a competition, but the general rule is if you have a powerful enough computer nothing too special then you should see a noticable difference.

Where are you getting your info from that usb sticks will die quickly. Your right anything with flash memory will die after a certain ammounts of read and writes but some new usb sticks can sustain after 100,000 read/writes before they will start to degrade and might only might die and there only £20 for 2gb thats nothing.

And yes programs might not make use of more than 3g but some will its like saying theres no point havin a dual core or a processor that can handle threads different as some programs might not use it.

I try and give honest information that I feel is correct and best suits the situation i might not have all my facts straight but you dont either!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.