Well hey everyone whattsss up?! This is my 2nd thread. Hopefully someone can ease my pain! I have this Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop with the wireless intel pro chip internet built in. Its WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION with SP2. The wireless internet worked fine for awhile, but then it just stopped working. I can see all the available wireless networks and can connect to my wireless network with an excellent signal, but I cannot ping any web sites and the error is "Network did not assign network address to the computer" + "There is none or little connectivety. I tried a million things to get it to work. I updated the Wireless Intel Chip driver, checked the BIOS to see if Wireless is enabled, DCHP is enabled, Windows configures the wireless setup, not Intel. The Lan Adapters are disabled, and I also tried turning Windows Firewall off on both machines. ANy Ideas? Thanks if anyone can help me out.

HiFiPlayer

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What's changed between then and now? For example I had all this stuff when I inserted a Powerline range extender that put out a wireless signal. When I substituted a range extender that was connected by wire - no problem.

Other reasons may include the introduction by someone of MAC address security on your router or your TCP/IP settings in your network properties for the adapter.

I presume you've used the Repair function to no avail.

Good luck.

What's changed between then and now? For example I had all this stuff when I inserted a Powerline range extender that put out a wireless signal. When I substituted a range extender that was connected by wire - no problem.

Other reasons may include the introduction by someone of MAC address security on your router or your TCP/IP settings in your network properties for the adapter.

I presume you've used the Repair function to no avail.

Good luck.

well like i said it gets excellent signal to the router and went to my friends house too, same problem. The router hasn't changed. Is there a way to set the wireless settings back to factory default to make it work again?
Thanks alot

Were you using SSID ? someone would have changed the ssid

seems like you're not getting an IP address from the router's DHCP. either reconfigure the router or set you'r computer up with a static IP that fits the network you want to access

OK. I got it fixed!! Woo hOO! I found out that the Winsock had failed when I tested it. So I reset it and now my internet is up and running. Thanks for the replies

Well done. I should have remembered to recommend IPCONFIG and its options. It's what I had to do in a past event.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.