Hi guys! I'm very grateful for the help I've received through this forum, it has been tremendously useful, that's why I'm back.
It is very hot in Arizona. Yesterday my computer got very hot and kicked me out of Word for Windows. Today, even though I tried to keep it and the room cooler, it overheated again and this time, it froze. A blue screen appeared. Told me that the system was unstable, to restart. I tried, couldn't. Then it told me: system halted. Did hard boot. It goes through the motions up to Desktop Recovery. Cannot use mouse, it's gone. Used alt keys to try to navigate, cannot do it well, because I don't know very well how. I hit Enter key to try to accept the command to restore my active desktop but it won't process the command. Don't know how else to proceed. Whenever I try alt + ctrl+ del, it starts with Explorer (end task) and it does this over and over. Ultimately, all it allows me is to is alt S to shut down. I'm borrowing a computer to post this urgent request for help. Can I be guided through the steps to recover my mouse and active desktop? I desperately need my computer.
Thank you very much! :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Forgot to add that my computer operates on Windows ME.
Thank you!

Most likely, heat probably is not the issue.

I could make a snide comment that Windows ME is the issue, but I won't ;)

Most systems, even ones old enough to be running ME, usually have a thermal protection feature that shuts the system down in the event of overheating. If your system was running too hot, then it would not have frozen-- it would have either shutdown, or you'd see smoke eminating from your PC! :o

I'd try starting in Safe Mode, and seeing if you can even get in from there. When the computer is booting, just before Windows loads, you either hold down the Ctrl key or the F8 key, and you'll be presented with a menu to enter into safe mode with.

Have you run a spyware or an antivirus scan lately? I'd suspect that, more than anything... Also, did you get any error messages, other than the bluescreens?

Most likely, heat probably is not the issue.

Most systems, even ones old enough to be running ME, usually have a thermal protection feature that shuts the system down in the event of overheating. If your system was running too hot, then it would not have frozen-- it would have either shutdown, or you'd see smoke eminating from your PC! :o

?

Hi ,I think that within a few degres of the monitos shutdown temp ,The computer could freeze!!Just my opinon base on my own computer !on these hot summer days.

Also I know of a loacal coputer store /repair shop that still loads ME on New coputers if the customer asks !!Really they do

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.