Hi there,

Im having some trouble accessing certain websites.
I cant access:

I can access my bank website which means its not a problem with security.
every other website that i use on a regular basis work fine, and i have not changed any of my router setting nor have i changed my browser settings or firewall (on or off), i have tryed these sites in: Firefox, IE and Opera and still have the same issue- they eventually time out and get this message:

'The connection has timed out'
'The server at www.tribalwars.net is taking too long to respond'

I have tryed to ping both of these sites and i have had no success, and i know they are up and running as i have spoken to a friend in which he can connect to both with ease.

So i can only put it down to either Vista (having a few known problems) or my ISP.
I currently have Vista Home Premium Addition running it on a new laptop which is hooked up to my belkin wrieless router.

Any help or information would be much appriciated.

Thanks
Stu

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

i'm pretty sure it has to do with https. where you using norton antivirus? if you uninstall it incorrectly you'll have problems.

also, have you tried it with different browsers? firefox? opera? netscape?

yeh tried all the differnt browsers listed above. randomly it worked this morning which could mean it may of been a problem with my ISP, iv heard of this before. People in certain areas wiht differnt ISPs cant access certain websites. nvm sorted now, thanks for your help anyways. :)

usually a modem reset will help. but you may be right, it might be your ISP.

Are you sure your anti viruses are up to date.There may be certain viruses and spy wares which prevent you from accessing certain websites.Some time back I got one which prevented my explorer from opening orkut.com but got rid of it with Avira.

yeah, double check your anti-virus software. I also recommend windows defender, it's an excellent anti-spyware program, and it's free.

Nowadays free anti viruses tend to be a lot better than the ones for which you have to pay.Its better to go for some of those.

Nowadays free anti viruses tend to be a lot better than the ones for which you have to pay.Its better to go for some of those.

Not necessarily. Symantec anti-virus (not Norton Anti-virus) is one of the best in my opinion. It's very lightweight, doesn't eat up your resources, and it's updated very frequently.

AVG, is very good as well, but there are somethings in Symantec I prefer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.