The default speed of the Start Menu is pretty slow, but it can be fixed by editing a Registry Key. Open up the Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Desktop \ MenuShowDelay

By default, the value is 400. It can be given a smaller value, such as 0, to speed up.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Nice!

I have mine set to 0 also :)

I did the change with REGSEEKER (Best reg cleaner/editor i have ever found)

Me too. I set my menuShowDelay to 0. It works. hehehe
:cool:

I wonder if setting it UNDER 0 would be even faster!! (-1 for example :D)

dude: have u tried it? setting it under 0? maybe i should try it for -9.. heheh

Hehehe i suppose its worth a try :D

thanks for the great tip!!! really helped me a lot.. have a lot of items in the start menu..

well mine is the default speed i think coz the entry doesn't exist but my start menu always pops up pretty fast.

Won't using a negative number make the start menu open up just before you click it? ;)

There are so many things that one can adjust in Windows that it is a shame that these aren't offered during Windows install, starting with basic things like the desktop style, some explorer settings, default locations for the user's files, alternate location for the "Program Files", and more. I've spend time reading through various books describing various registry settings and found lots of stuff I wanted to change.

pretty cool. gonna try it maself. Thanks

Wow thanks I am going to reboot and see what happens; I made a restore point just in case.

Wow thanks I am going to reboot and see what happens; I made a restore point just in case.

Wow I set it to 0 and it was the fastest reboot I have ever had! Thank you!!

Nice try. I knew this already.

It seems that with the start menu loading faster I have less memory available. I may be mistakened after all the registry is my worst area.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.