hi all, i am new here and would greatly appreciate advice you can offer.

i am using xp pro with sp2

i have my pictures stored an a hard drive.
there are about 100 folders. within this "photo folder".
i do not regulkarly look throuigh it.
i noticed about three weeks ago that all the files and folder names which start with the letter A-F are present. but any with values greater than F are not.
the other folders are there? as i cannot rename a new folder to a name i already know exists even though i cant see it (tried safe mode no help).
i have just sorted the date numeric named folders eg 21-12-05 into year folders eg 2004 2005 2006 etc.
and then letter fles or folders starting with A-C are visible.
now nothing is visible after a refresh and any files i create
disappear after closing window and then repooening " but they are just hidden i just cant get them out.

all i want to do is get back my files and stick them on another drive and then ??? bin this hard drive.

1. virus
2. hardware failure.
3. you tell me
Can i fix it? No
Can u fix it.. i hope so.
Kind regards,
Simon
thanks i'm despairing

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Sounds like filesystem corruption.

1. Double-click on your My Computer icon.
2. Right-click on your C: drive.
3. Choose "Properties" from the resulting drop-down menu.
4. In the Properties window, click on the "Tools" tab.
5. In the "Error Checking" section, click the "Check now" button.
6. In the resulting pop-up window, put a check in both option boxes and then click the "Start" button.

The filesystem/disk scan will take a while, so be patient.

thanks that solved it! :)

Cool- glad we could help :)

hey masters of computer I m also new here and i want help from u about recover some of my lost files and great wishes to u ..
I did lock some files by Free Hide Folder software. after a few days my brother install a new windows copy and format the C drive . But i sow that my locked files are not showing after install the new windows but my locked files were in E drive and I have no recover files of that .. but I am sure that the files are not gone because they took 10 GB space till now .. these files were Images , Videos .. so what can I do or how can I recover or get these files .. please tell me back elder brother .. i m in so much trouble now .. please help me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.