Make Windows 7 look like Windows 95

Member Avatar
georgeoshardo
Newbie Poster
15 posts since Sep 2011
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Your probably thinking, why would he want to do that? Well, just a bit of nostalgia. So i've done the obvious, put on classic, change the desktop icons and background, I downloaded Classic Shell, but how do I change default icons for everything? And if possible, explorer.

Member Avatar
dimsums
Junior Poster in Training
71 posts since Nov 2011
Reputation Points: 14 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 13 [?]

You can't, the shell predefined the UI settings to a point that most can't be change, for me its not so much of nostalgia, more like I just love the simplicity of my XP 64bit. The only way to do what you want is to use something like Stardock but even then, theres a limit to how far you can change them to.

Member Avatar
Reverend Jim
Noli mentula
5,435 posts since Aug 2010
Reputation Points: 746 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 653 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 51 [?]
Featured

Or you can download VirtualPC from Microsoft and create a Windows 98 virtual machine inside then for when you want to wax nostalgic.

Member Avatar
PrimePackster
Posting Whiz in Training
252 posts since Nov 2011
Reputation Points: 10 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 17 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 3 [?]

Well Use styler in Tune Up utilies, with the icons downloaded from internet, or find them in your own backyard, i mean c:\system32\icons

Member Avatar
minuteman263
Light Poster
32 posts since Jan 2009
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]

I hate the way that Windows 7 start menu looks. The programs menu is to small and why they have the single programs above the foders, I'll never know. I have always set my start menus to classic, but with Windows 7, I use a free download called "windows classic shell".

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: