I have 3 computers on a network (all wired). Up until a few days ago it has been working perfectly. Yet today the main computer will not display any web pages or connect in any way, yet the other 2 are working fine.

The router is a netgear DG834N rangemax. I installed the router on the main computer when i first set it up. The main computer is running Vista and when i go onto the network connections screen it shows the main computer, then the gateway then the internet. The internet shows as its working

Ive tried a restore point from a few weeks ago, but still no luck. I'm not very computer savvy so am stuck for what to do.

Any help greatly appricated.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Ive just been searching through google and find a help page that suggested pinging my router (i dont understand what it means). Anyway i pinged it and i can back saying packets ok or something along them lines.

I then pinged www.yahoo.com and it said it could not connect to it.

I dont know if this helps in narrowing down what could be causing the problem

I don't have this router, but I have a netgear FR114P.

When you look at the router user interface, is there a selection on the right hand side for Attached devices. Select this element and look to see if the device is there. If it isn't and the others are then the device has bad settings in it's network configuration.

Try pinging 216.239.59.147. This is www.yahoo.com in IP. If that works then you have a dns issue.

Try pinging 216.239.59.147. This is www.yahoo.com in IP. If that works then you have a dns issue.

Thanks for the reply.

I pinged the number you gave and it said this afterwards

Ping statistics for 216.239.59.147:
Packets = sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0

I still can not access a web page. Still have server not found showing on the firefox or explorer screen

I don't have this router, but I have a netgear FR114P.

When you look at the router user interface, is there a selection on the right hand side for Attached devices. Select this element and look to see if the device is there. If it isn't and the others are then the device has bad settings in it's network configuration.

Thanks for replying

It does have attached devices.
The computer with the problem does show up in it, as does the other 2 computers on the network (which the internet works on)

I would cycle power on the router for 30 seconds. Once the router is reset, check the connection again. If it doesn't work then you have a problem with your security rules. The fact that it stopped working all of a sudden makes me suspect the router. Another thing I do is force the machines to be allocated the same IP address by the DHCP server. Then I can swap IP addresses and see if something is specific with the allocated IP address.

open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. What does it give you for your DNS server?

I would cycle power on the router for 30 seconds. Once the router is reset, check the connection again. If it doesn't work then you have a problem with your security rules. The fact that it stopped working all of a sudden makes me suspect the router. Another thing I do is force the machines to be allocated the same IP address by the DHCP server. Then I can swap IP addresses and see if something is specific with the allocated IP address.

Tried the power thing, but still the same. I am getting the internet on the other computers that go through this router.

open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. What does it give you for your DNS server?

Here is what i got when i done that. Dont have a clue what any of it means

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LeeComputer
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit
 Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-DB-B7-45-DC
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8551:4cd4:e2df:b3fe%8(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:58:44 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 01, 2008 10:58:44 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 134224347
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.188.146.145
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{604B77FF-C568-4603-967B-B475D410A
3CC}
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.4%10(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.188.146.145
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Now try plugging that IP address strait into the browser and see what happens.

Now try plugging that IP address strait into the browser and see what happens.

I presume you mean 192.168.0.4 ? If so nothing happened. Just said can not connect to server

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.