hi, i am currently having trouble getting a wireless connection to my router. The router works fine via an ethernet cable, and every other computer in the house can establish a wireless connection perfectly. i just took the wireless card out of my old computer and put it in this one, and it was working in the old one so i dont think that can be the problem.
My router is a netgear DG834g v2, and i would appreciate all help.

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Are you getting any errors?

nope, its just when im viewing the wireless connections, and i click on my one to connect, it keeps saying "waiting for the network" then after a while the window disappears as if it's connected but it hasn't.

When the window goes away open command prompt and type ipconfig /all what do you get?

Also are you using any type of encryption with your wireless?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Alexi>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Alex
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-1A-18-D6
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.8
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 February 2008 13:35:11
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 29 February 2008 13:35:11

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI
Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B5-04-B7-FB
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.213.239
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

thats from ipconfig/all
and i wouldn't know if i was using encryption =s

The 169.254 address on your wireless adapter means you did not pull an IP from DHCP. When you try and connect to your AP do you have to type a password or phrase?

sorry, i dont understand, a bit simpler please :( i can only guess what you mean.

When you boot your computer and it says Wireless Networks within Range. You click that and it shows the networks. When you click on your wireless network and hit connect does it prompt you for a password? Or does it warn you that this network is not secured?

it prompts me for network key but i dnt have one so i just hit enter and it attempts to connect.
when i boot my computer it gives the little sign in the taskbar that its trying to connect to the wireless, but its status is "acquiring network address" and it doesn't change, it might stop attempting to connect after a while.

If it's asking for a network key then you have one set on the router. Your other machines have already been logged into it so they have the key cached. If you don't know they key then you can reset the router back to factory defaults by:

1.Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
2.Release the button.
3.Wait for the router to reboot.
4.Log in with the default password

Log in name will be admin, password should be password or 1234. You get to the login screen by opening a browser and typing in 192.168.0.1. Your router will be operational then without any encryption. Then you can go in and set what you want all of your settings to be.

thats not the problem, i can access the internet fine when my computer is connected to the router, and i always try changing those setting's you mentioned in your last post, but nothing seems to do it. when i try to set up a new connection on my '192.168.0.1 page' it just gives me a list of what looks like commands.

thats not the problem, i can access the internet fine when my computer is connected to the router, and i always try changing those setting's you mentioned in your last post, but nothing seems to do it. when i try to set up a new connection on my '192.168.0.1 page' it just gives me a list of what looks like commands.

You don't set up anything. The reason you can get to the internet when you are wired is that you don't have to use the pass phrase there.

when i try to connect to the network i want when im viewing the available wireless networks, it just shows me that its trying to connect by the little green bar moving right and left, and it just says "waiting for the network" and it seems as though it's connected when it disappears, but it hasn't.
in the taskbar theres a little red "x" next to the wireless icon to show me that it hasn't connected.
i dont need a network key to access my network.

when i try to connect to the network i want when im viewing the available wireless networks, it just shows me that its trying to connect by the little green bar moving right and left, and it just says "waiting for the network" and it seems as though it's connected when it disappears, but it hasn't.
in the taskbar theres a little red "x" next to the wireless icon to show me that it hasn't connected.
i dont need a network key to access my network.

If it prompts you for one when you first tried to connect then you need one. Do a reset on the router back to factory defaults and try it again and it should work.

it didn't prompt me for one. weird because sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

If you don't enter one and try to connect it cache's that you don't need one. Double click you Wireless Networks connection in the task bar. Then click change advanced settings. Click the wireless networks tab. Remove anything in the prefered networks box. Then try to connect again. If it gives you a prompt then encryption is set. Reset the router to get rid of it.

it says"......information sent over this network is not encrypted and might be visible to other people.

connect anyway cancel

ok, something really weird just happened, it started working.
i turned on my computer and after about 5 minutes it just came on the the wireless works fine.
im not sure it will stay like this for long though :S

it says"......information sent over this network is not encrypted and might be visible to other people.

connect anyway cancel

That's what it should say if it's not encrypted.

well, its working now, il let you know if it stops though.
i really appreciate the help you have given me, thanks alot il keep you updated.

stopped, it was a one off

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.