Hi.
I have a D-Link wireless adapter card that I am trying to use on my Win98 laptop. Card does work ok in WinXP laptop, ie. Router etc. is set up and working ok.
Feedback I am getting is that need W98SE for it to work............ but I want to avoid paying $50 to update just for this function.
I saw in another forum that may be able to use a WinXP driver vs the W98 driver to get it to work.
Anyone know about this trick?
Help.
Bob

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The problem is that it never recognizes the PC card being plugged..... says no card found.
When I run the D-Link install program, it says "The NDIS.VXD.NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver(Code2).
When I try to update the driver, says best driver is already installed.
Btw - looks like WinXP has driver in Windows\System32 folder, while Win98 has it in Windows\System folder.
Bob

Give us the exact model # of the D-Link card please.

Yippy, yippy, after several days (I am both slow AND stupid, but I am persistent!), I have resolved my problem.

Basically the only thing that worked, and it DID work, was to replace the NDIS.VXD file on my Win98 system with a WinXP file.

Thanks for all your help.
Bob

Yippy, yippy, after several days (I am both slow AND stupid, but I am persistent!), I have resolved my problem.

Basically the only thing that worked, and it DID work, was to replace the NDIS.VXD file on my Win98 system with a WinXP file.

Thanks for all your help.
Bob

I am surely both slower and stupider. Which files did you replace, and how was this done? I am trying to solve this same problem 2 years later, with a d-link card, and the same NDIS.VXD.NTKERN.VXD error when trying to install the drivers, and far less technical savvy.

THanks much.

Hi.
Has been a long time since I did it..............so some brain cells have surely died.
What I believe the key thing I did was to replace that one file in the W98 computer with one COPIED from a WinXP computer.
Just do a Search (maybe is Find in W98) for that NDIS file and replace.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Bob

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.