Hi there,

I am not massively technical minded and only know the basics really, however, I have been able to set up all wireless networks alone,

You see I have recently bought a laptop which I use frequently for the net and everytime I try to download anything, whether it be from P2P or just off a site, my connection goes off. Our Main PC, which is always running simultaneously, has no problems whatsoever until I try to download. Then both connections go off. There is no way of reconnecting other than to switch off any downloads and then reset the router. Both computers are running wirelessly and the signal strength is excellent until this happens. Myself and my partner can happily surf the net at the same time with no problems and the PC can download all the time without switching off.

We have a Belkin wireless adapter for the PC that cant find the connection therefore we have to search for wireless networks using Windows. My laptop has wireless built into it. I am at a loss as of what to do, especially since I do actually like to download often.

Any help would be much appreciated in resolving this problem

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You said they both lose connection when you try to download, did this just start happening when you connected the laptop?

If I'm understanding this right, the desktop can download fine, but the laptop crashes the whole thing when it tries:

I'd think this is an issue with ports, which doesn't make a lot of sense since it's different ports and most website based downloads are through the HTTP protocol anyway. Are you comfortable enough to access your routers settings?

You said they both lose connection when you try to download, did this just start happening when you connected the laptop?

If I'm understanding this right, the desktop can download fine, but the laptop crashes the whole thing when it tries:

I'd think this is an issue with ports, which doesn't make a lot of sense since it's different ports and most website based downloads are through the HTTP protocol anyway. Are you comfortable enough to access your routers settings?

To be honest, not really. But if I could get a small idea of how to do it I could have a go. You are right though, it is only since I got this laptop and the desktop is fine until I use this laptop.
How stressful hey? Lol. Thanks for your reply
xxxx

in a web browser go to your routers controlpage. Usually http://192.168.1.1, 191.168.2.1, 192.168.10.1, 127.0.0.1, ect.) you can find it (if you don't know it) by going to a command propmt and entering IPCONFIG, it will be listed as your default gateway.

It will ask for a password which varies by model but will be in the manual, probably on the bottom of the router and easy to find online.

I have BT and I have managed to get the address and have the screen in front of me but when I put the user name and password in that it advises online, it wont recognise it. I think someone who I spoke to on the phone once went into it and now I cant. Is there any other way? Shall I phone BT? It's just that they are foreign and they never understand what I say :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.