In college all we did was we networked servers together...
I am about to network 3-4 computers in my home and I was just wondering if there was any way that I can connect them straight through a hub, without a server.

I'm sure that some people are laughing at me, but this is just a thought that I had

Recommended Answers

All 32 Replies

In college all we did was we networked servers together...
I am about to network 3-4 computers in my home and I was just wondering if there was any way that I can connect them straight through a hub, without a server.

I'm sure that some people are laughing at me, but this is just a thought that I had

You may want to consider a switch if you plan on putting more PC's on the network, or have buddies that come over for LAN parties.

I have an 8 port Linksys that has served me well for the past three years.

GO CISCO GO THE BEST
ROUTERS

I don't think a 2900 series is what he needs. :p

No, I don't need a 2900 series.. I just need something small for a home network... and BTW feigned... I am a she

No, I don't need a 2900 series.. I just need something small for a home network... and BTW feigned... I am a she

Sorry about that. It's too easy to assume such a thing.

A small hub or switch (if you're at all worried about bandwidth to each machine) will do just fine. Plan on spending about 30 bucks.

I don't think a 2900 series is what he needs. :p

Who said anything about the 2900 series besides yourself.
I recommend the Cisco PIX 501 for the Tiny Tims out there.
Or you can go(cheaper)linksys, site posted above.

quote: A small hub or switch (if you're at all worried about bandwidth to each machine) will do just fine. Plan on spending about 30 bucks. :quote

Are you suggesting (crappy)ICS, a unexperienced user will never get it. Do your self a favor spend more than some couch change "30 Bucks" and get a router with nat.
Feigned does not practice safe Administrative security as shown in this thread.....No offense Feigned

[thread=1255]CLIcK HERE[/thread]
LINKSYS...............is apart of CISCO systems a (good) system admin should know this

Who said anything about the 2900 series besides yourself.
I recommend the Cisco PIX 501 for the Tiny Tims out there.
Or you can go(cheaper)linksys, site posted above.

Are you suggesting (crappy)ICS, a unexperienced user will never get it. Do your self a favor spend more than some couch change "30 Bucks" and get a router with nat.
Feigned does not practice safe Administrative security as shown in this thread.....No offense Feigned

[thread=1255]CLIcK HERE[/thread]

First off, she never said anything about routing. Setting up and sharing a connection and simply networking 3 or 4 computers together are not the same.

I would recommend the PIX 501 as well, if someone has 500 dollars to lay down money for what, 10 VPN licenses, and capability that honestly isn't absolutely needed in a home environment? 30-50 bucks for a cheap Linksys NAT router which will do the job just fine for someone at home.

I never suggested ICS. ICS is the worst form of routing you can use. It's stupid NAT, unconfigurable, and generally a pain in the ass. A 30-50 dollar Linksys/D-Link/Netgear NAT router with a built-in 4 port switch is more than enough for a home user, as I have reiterated more than once.

No offense taken, but you don't have to link to that thread. I think that's a cheap shot and one that you should have reserved comment on. And if you'll notice my post on the second page that says this:

"No NetBIOS, proper filtering at a packet level, drop all ICMP packets, and close every port that's not being used is a fairly good methodology. When you get into ID is when the real fun begins."

...then maybe some will see that I'm not talking out of my ass.

I'm still waiting on your firewall thread, B. I'm ready to be "learnt."

BY Feigned
QUOTE: I never suggested ICS. ICS is the worst form of routing you can use. It's stupid NAT, unconfigurable, and generally a pain in the ass. A 30-50 dollar Linksys/D-Link/Netgear NAT router with a built-in 4 port switch is more than enough for a home user, as I have reiterated more than once.QUOTE:
BIG B Response
Then what were you suggesting a hub or switch for?

BY Feigned
QUOTE: A small hub or switch (if you're at all worried about bandwidth to each machine) will do just fine. Plan on spending about 30 bucks. QUOTE:
---------------------------------------------------
QUOTE: First off, she never said anything about routing. Setting up and sharing a connection and simply networking 3 or 4 computers together are not the same.QUOTE:
BIG B Response
Seems you have CONTRADICTED yourself here!!!

BY Feigned
QUOTE: No offense taken, but you don't have to link to that thread. I think that's a cheap shot and one that you should have reserved comment on. QUOTE:
BIG B Response:
Dude Im just linking the facts!!!!

First off we need to ask this chick if she is just simply wanting to network the computers together, or if she wants all of them to have internet access. Those are indeed two seperate things. I would never recommend ICS to someone; especially a newbie!

Many people come around various boards and say "I want to network my computers together" yet they never specify if they want these computers to each have internet access. We need her to tell us this, she may have meant she wants them all to have internet access. If not, then she will only need a hub or switch. For a home user, I already recommend something like a befsx41 (linksys(NAT/ etc..)in my first post to her question. Even the PIX 501 (better).

PS: DUDE you can try to pick my post(plural) apart all you want like you usually do but remeber your messing with the SHAMAN here.

cant you ppl jst come in to a thread and help someone instead of fighting over everything. its kind of getting annoying, but it is also kind of fun to read. im jst trying to get at is help before you start arguing over stuff.

bluedos82: are you planning on sharing broadband internet between the computer or is the network goin to be for file sharing purposes only? after you answer these we mite beable to help out even better :)

big_k105: No, there is no internet sharing in this network. We only have a 56k and I don't think that it would be a good idea to have the phone line tied up in that many knots. The main thing that we will be shaing is files and maybe a printer. Other than that, nothing more. well... intranet communication, that is about it. I want to have file sharing, printer sharing and some IM between computers. Yeah, that's all

bluedos82: are you planning on sharing broadband internet between the computer or is the network goin to be for file sharing purposes only? after you answer these we mite beable to help out even better :)

That question has already been asked......Yawn

PS: Stop trying to be a moderator if she feels like me and my buddy dont offer anything to the post she will sweep it. Feigned and me are not arguing . So stop trying to change the way 2 WHITE HATS reply and get over it. Your the one who didnt offer anything to the post bra.

[thread=1257]THREAD HERE [/thread] Look at page 3

GET A HUB THEN $15/$30

yes the question had already been asked but it didnt seem like she saw or read it in all the debating that was goin on. so i thought i would get everything back on track. and get the help that was asked for out the the person asking the question and no i hadnt never read that thread that mentions that you to are buddies and it is the way you answer question. sorry i never caught that in the first place :rolleyes: well i wound try to help out anymore then. ok well i will stop trying to moderate as you say, any threads that have argumenting. but if this is the way you guys help i kind of think it sucks but that is my own personal opion maybe it works for other ppl jst not for me i guess. hopefully you have helped out. im guessing that you have so i appoligize. :rolleyes:

but back to the question at hand here. well if all your goin to be doing is sharing files and stuff like that then i would think a switch like feigned mentioned earlier. this should do you jst fine and there isnt much point in spending alot of money on a switch but i would prolly go with lynksys or d-link. IMHO they make some of the best stuff. :)

hope this helps

First I not going to waist the time or space to quote that guilt trip you compiled
Thats peoples problems there not reading and we are not debating we are just laying down theory.

Now back to your answer BIG-K If she is trying to save $ then she needs a hub $15 compUSA BIG-K and bluedos need to read the diffrence between a HUB and a SWITCH
HUBS & SWITCHES

i know the difference between a hub a switch. well if its a hub she need that that is what she needs. its either way they will both work

BIG B Response
Then what were you suggesting a hub or switch for?

You need a hub or switch to create a network, not route one.

BIG B Response
Seems you have CONTRADICTED yourself here!!!

I didn't contradict myself. You use a switch if you're concerned about aggregate bandwidth. Unless the machines are going to be transferring gigs of data across their respective cables 24/7, a 5-port hub would do the job.

BIG B Response:
Dude Im just linking the facts!!!!

However you interpret "facts" as truth is truly up to you.

First off we need to ask this chick if she is just simply wanting to network the computers together, or if she wants all of them to have internet access. Those are indeed two seperate things. I would never recommend ICS to someone; especially a newbie!

Uh, yeah. You didn't ask in your first post, and I generally assume that if someone just wants to network a few machines together, a simple hub is fine.

Many people come around various boards and say "I want to network my computers together" yet they never specify if they want these computers to each have internet access. We need her to tell us this, she may have meant she wants them all to have internet access. If not, then she will only need a hub or switch. For a home user, I already recommend something like a befsx41 (linksys(NAT/ etc..)in my first post to her question. Even the PIX 501 (better).

She didn't say that she wanted them to have internet access. But why throw a PIX into contention? That's waaaaaay too advanced for someone that's not sure how to network a few boxes together. Have you used one? Have you honestly seen how it can confuse someone? ICS has a checkbox. A PIX has rules and permissions to configure, not a checkbox to turn on.

PS: DUDE you can try to pick my post(plural) apart all you want like you usually do but remeber your messing with the SHAMAN here.

You really need to stop with the egotism. You're on the internet. You're a faceless soulless punk that thinks he knows his way around a keyboard. You need to open your eyes and realize that while you may know everything on one subject, you know nothing about everything. Being erratic does not garner respect on a message board. I doubt that you've realized that just over a thousand people have joined the board. What about active members. A few hundred, if that? No one cares dude. You're not the spiritual "shaman" for TTF, only cscgal has that pleasure. She rules, not you.

That said, I don't mind debating you. It's quiet solace in my small office.

Come on feingend you have been replying for over 15 minutes now

:lol:

Watching my every move?

Dude your getting off the subject here...

Man . . . my first day back and guess what I see?

)BIG"B"Affleck,

big_k105 and

feigned,

at each others throats. AGAIN. I'd hate to see you three on a deployment or roll-out!! But I still have love for you all. I just wish we could keep it to a minimum. I mean, If thats how you work, than we'll have to live with it, but is there any other way?

Anyways, I agree, a hub would work fine in that enviornment. But a switch is more practical if you plan on either upgrading the network later, or eventually having net access, although you still would easily get away with a hub with no problems.

QUOTE:Anyways, I agree, a hub would work fine in that enviornment. But a switch is more practical if you plan on either upgrading the network later, or eventually having net access, although you still would easily get away with a hub with no problems QUOTE:
I swear in another thread she said that some of the comps were 5-10 years old I doubt she is going to be updating 10 year old comps......I dont know why my buddy feigned thinks Im a know it all.Nor do I know why he comes along behind me to pick apart my replys.He knows I only post fact

QUOTE:Anyways, I agree, a hub would work fine in that enviornment. But a switch is more practical if you plan on either upgrading the network later, or eventually having net access, although you still would easily get away with a hub with no problems QUOTE:
I swear in another thread she said that some of the comps were 5-10 years old I doubt she is going to be updating 10 year old comps......I dont know why my buddy feigned thinks Im a know it all.Nor do I know why he comes along behind me to pick apart my replys.He knows I only post fact

Then why would she need a shiny new PIX to network a few old systems together?

I only pick apart your posts when I have an opinion about it, or I think you're wrong. There have been posts that we totally agree, so I'm not out to demonize you.

Other than that, I think you're a pompous ass. Nothing but love for that though, since we're all different here.

QUOTE:Then why would she need a shiny new PIX to network a few old systems together?QUOTE:

I just read it .........your replys are getting weaker feigned.
Bluedos32 did you go to school to be a system admin .Or are you certified?

Ah, the spirit of peace and coorporation flows through the boards like a lava flow through a village...

:rolleyes:

Ah, the spirit of peace and coorporation flows through the boards like a lava flow through a village...:rolleyes:

WOW....Great input I bet you really helped her out there

I strive to do my best :rolleyes:

I swear in another thread she said that some of the comps were 5-10 years old I doubt she is going to be updating 10 year old comps......

Slow down there fella, I never said that she was going to updating her "old PC's" I said her network, like adding additional NEW PC's or a NAS server. Anyway I think the point is proven. Either way she is fine (switch / hub) Everyone is right, no one is wrong.

I understand what you're saying, I wansn't trying to dismiss your reply though or anything. :cool:

I know you have no need for a router, but you can get one with a print server built in - might be a little more convenient having a print server if you are going to be sharing a printer. SMC made some soho routers (7004BR to name one) that had a print server and they worked quite well. You can probably find something like that kinda cheap on ebay or something.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.