I have a cable connection with a linksys 4 port router. The internet connection with the home network works fine. I have 3 computers connected to the internet through the linksys router. I can access file on two computers and not the other. They were all sharing files at one time but I can't access one of them with the other two. They are all running xp pro.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If the physical and logical connection is right and you know that for sure than it can eighter be a firewall (windows or Anti virus) or permissions.
try sharing another file/folder give full rights to all users and see if it works

Getnby,

Are all three machines XP?

You say they were sharing files before...did you add one new machine and this problem occurred or have you had all 3 for a while?

zeroth

I have had all three connected all the time. I can transfer files with the one that will not share. I can see the one that will not share but it will open a window for a name that is grayed out and ask for a password.

I can transfer files with the one that will not share. I can see the one that will not share but it will open a window for a name that is grayed out and ask for a password.

I don't understand what you're saying here. How can you transfer files with the one that will not share. Let's call the computers A, B and the one that will not share C. Now explain what's happening in those terms and try to be more specific as to what's taking place, messages, etc. There are a lot of things that can be going on here.

First, has somebody else had access to this computer? Also, do you have Norton's on any of your machines?

I'd first try just giving the thing a RETURN and see if that signs thru. Do you recognize the greyed-out name?

Are you getting a system message at all saying you don't have permissions to access files on that computer or similar?

Sittas87's advice above is good but I'm assuming all this was correct if it was working before. So, you need to think back and determine what you've added to the system around the time it started acting up. For a look at your system try Belarc Advisor, it's free and has all the licenses and software you've download and Microsoft system updates listed.

zeroth

From computer C I can access the files shared on A and B. When I try to access the files on C using A or B it comes up with a login window with the computer name and the login name of the computer grayed out. Example \\home\getnby this is in the login window grayed out. The password field will accept information. The password I use to login on computer C will not work. I would sent a picture of the window if I could.

looks like its rights after all

1-try what i suggested, thats:
-share a any single folder/ file and give full rights to everyone.
Or
2-Create the computer users that is created on comp A and B exactly the same with the same passwords and the greyed out should become editable that way you can give a username from comp A and B and password to get access through the network

Access method one should do the simple trick thats giving rights to the everyone group

cheers
sitts

From computer C I can access the files shared on A and B. When I try to access the files on C using A or B it comes up with a login window with the computer name and the login name of the computer grayed out. Example \\home\getnby this is in the login window grayed out. The password field will accept information. The password I use to login on computer C will not work. I would sent a picture of the window if I could.

The problem has been fixed. My son found that the IP stack size was to small. Thanks for all of your help.

The problem has been fixed. My son found that the IP stack size was to small. Thanks for all of your help.

Correction in the last post. I should have typed (IRPSTACKSIZE) was to small.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.