Situation is:
Desktop PC has 2 ethernet card, one is auto IP. another is 192.168.1.1
Laptop has 1 card, IP is 192.168.1.2

From Desktop ping 192.168.1.2 ,everything is OK.
From Laptop ping 192.168.1.1, "Request time out"

Please help me.. I am looking for your kind reply, THANKS!!!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Ok these might sound silly but here it goes:

1. Are you sure that the network cable coming out of the laptop is connected to the network card of the PC with the IP 192.168.1.1 and not the other auto-ip one.

2. Is there any firewall (built-in or otherwise) on the desktop that could be blocking the ping requests coming in from the laptop.

3. In the laptop, try setting the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 if you haven't done it yet. I assume you'll be able to do that, but if you need further instructions on this let me know I'll try my best.

Ok I hope that was somewhat helpful.

Ciao for now.

1. Are you sure that the network cable coming out of the laptop is connected to the network card of the PC with the IP 192.168.1.1 and not the other auto-ip one.

2. Is there any firewall (built-in or otherwise) on the desktop that could be blocking the ping requests coming in from the laptop.

3. In the laptop, try setting the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 if you haven't done it yet. I assume you'll be able to do that, but if you need further instructions on this let me know I'll try my best.

Ciao for now.

Thanks for your on time reply... All the questions you asked that I did the right way. BTW: Both Desktop and Laptop are XP systems.

I'm sorry I didn't understand your reply fully. Are you saying you already tried what I wrote and you still have the problem?

I'm sorry I didn't understand your reply fully. Are you saying you already tried what I wrote and you still have the problem?

Exactly. I tried everything you wrote... :(

Exactly. I tried everything you wrote... :(

UP........

You have 2 NICs in one machine, you have assigned an IP to one of them, and something else is assigning the IP address to the other one, what is supplying the dynamic address?

Is this router/hub/gateway/ADSL modem? (Or other???)

How is the laptop connected to the desktop, are they individually connected to a hub or something?

SE

You have 2 NICs in one machine, you have assigned an IP to one of them, and something else is assigning the IP address to the other one, what is supplying the dynamic address?

Is this router/hub/gateway/ADSL modem? (Or other???)

How is the laptop connected to the desktop, are they individually connected to a hub or something?

SE

Before I installed the new PCI netcard, the old one in the Desktop is connected with the hub of mine. The IP of it is automatic assigned. It worked normally. Now, I assigned the IP of the new netcard in my Desktop.

It is hub here, it connect with a cable modem.

The laptop is direct connected with the desktop, through one crossover cable, card to card, right?

1. Why the hub? If one of the NICs in the desktop is connected to your cable Internet connection and the other is connected to the laptop, I don't see where the need for the hub comes in (unless there are other machines involved which you haven't mentioned yet).

2. Have you set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) between the desktop and laptop yet? If not, you should do so.

:cheesy:

Ciao for now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.