We are trying to use the route command, within a VPN connection, to change the local clients route. Microsoft says to use the command as:
192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 default METRIC default IF default
with the first default being the gateway to use
the second default being the default metric for that gateway
and the third default being the interface that the gateway you are using is on.

The problem is that whether I type this in manually, or use the client to try to do it, it continually comes back with the message
"bad gateway address default"

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Let me be the first to completely misunderstand this problem

Should the subnet mask not be 255.255.255.0 with the Class C address specified.

CAN YOU NOT JUST USE THE TCP IP PROPERTIES OF YOU CONNECTION TO ADD IP AND SUBNET AND THE IP OF YOUR ROUTER TO DEFAULT GATEWAY

APOLOGIES FOR CAPS _ STICKY KEYS THE GIT

We have a subnetted network using the 192.168.x.x address space. We have to use the 255.255.0.0 to be able to access all the various subnets.

I can personally use TCP/IP properties, or Route ADD, etc. to setup my connection, however, our end users are not technical enough to be able to do that. We are trying to automate their connection to the VPN server. We have tried using the CMAK to do this with an included file, and also tried a URL, etc. Our problem continues to be the 'default' wording that Microsoft says to use. All of Microsoft's documentation, as well as documentation on other sites says to use the 'defalut' wording and all that does is generate erros.

thanks

We are trying to use the route command, within a VPN connection, to change the local clients route. Microsoft says to use the command as:
The problem is that whether I type this in manually, or use the client to try to do it, it continually comes back with the message

First, those IPs are class B, second the last item is Interface (IF) and has nothing to do with the gateway. Third the reason you are getting the bad gateway address default, is because there is no gateway IP called "default".

The IF is a number 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. and it is the number of the Network Interface Card (NIC). It just allows you to pick the NIC where the traffic is heading.

The command should be

ROUTE ADD <destination ip> MASK <ip mask> <gateway>

Don't worry about METRIC or IF. Metric should not matter, unless you have multiple routes to the same destination and a decision has to be made which one costs less... which is where the metering i.e. metrics come in.. IF will default to the best one, almost always the first one. If you only have one NIC, well, then it really doesnt matter, now does it?!

So your route command should look like:

ROUTE -p ADD 192.168.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0 <gateway IP>

The error comes from you keep putting the word default in the place of the gateway IP. I could of course give you a headache, because if you had a machine named "default" and it was in your HOSTS file, the poor protocol would try to find it, and direct the traffic toward it.

One final tip - add the -p, thereby "storing" it for next reboot (p for persistent - get it?! :D ) . Otherwise you will have to keep typing it in.

as I said, completely misunderstood, and bad advise at that :(

Our problem is that Microsoft CMAK does not use the standard route command. When we go into the client and manually configure it, it works great. Our users are just that, users. They wouldn't understand route commands, etc. Trying to use the Micorsoft CMAK, and following all of Microsoft's instructions, is where our problem lies. We have tried and tried to get it to work, but can't get it to work fully. Our initial add command of add 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 default works great. It's when we try to add any other routes to it that it crashes. Since our network is subnetted into many subnets we have to have multiple lines to get it all working.

Thanks

Our problem is that Microsoft CMAK

Dominus tecum.

I am sorry. I am not familiar with the Connection Manager's ROUTE command.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

no

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

no

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.