I have an old acer computer lying around It's got a AMD K6 300 in it with 64megs of ram and a 6.5 gig hard drive. My friend showed me this really cool game called HALO by microsoft. I wanted to know how to setup a game server either on my network seperatly or online (either is fine). and is my K6 fast enough? My home network is cat5e wiring and I have a linksys router and a linsys switch and a toshiba cable modem. Is my equipment fast enough to setup a game server? If my computer is not what type of machine should i upgrade to? (remember i'm a teenager so I don't have the money to buy a p4 lol)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

OK heres an update. I loaded windows 2k pro on my Acer Amd K6 300. I did all the updates from Microsoft. and I loaded HALO. but the machine only has 64 megs of ram and the game didn't like it. I'm either gonna pick up a used PIII from the local guy down the street or I'm gonna wait for the local computer show. But If anyone has knowledge on how to set one up that'd be great.

From Microsoft's HALO site (http://www.microsoft.com/games/PC/halo.aspx#sysreqs):

System Requirements

* Microsoft Windows 98SE/Me/XP/2000
* PC with 733 MHz equivalent or higher processor
* 128 MB of system RAM
* 1.2 GB available hard disk space
* 8x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
* 32 MB T&L capable video card required
* Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
* Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
* 56.6 Kbps or better modem or LAN for online play; broadband to run a server

From the README.txt included in the Dedicated Server installation (yes, I actually installed the Dedicated Server just to get the system requirements..)

Halo Dedicated Server requires a personal computer with the following minimum requirements:

Multimedia personal computer with a 733 MHz or higher processor.
Windows 98 SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000 Service Pack 1, or Windows XP.
128 Megabytes (MB) of RAM.
200 MB of available hard disk space.
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.
Broadband internet connection.

Look around for a server version of Halo, that just runs a command prompt and is just large enough to run multiplayer. It is basicly a stripped down version of the game only designed to handle multiplayer.

That information came from the dedicated server version from Microsoft.

I pasted it from the README file that gets extracted after you install it.

Re-read my previous post...

Member Avatar for TKSS

If my computer is not what type of machine should i upgrade to? (remember i'm a teenager so I don't have the money to buy a p4 lol)

Well, for cheap, older computers...you can't beat where I go. I build all of my firewalls for my friends and associates from computers I purchase from here:
http://www.retrobox.com/rbwww/home/

Hope this helps you!

alryt mate

befor i recommend ne hardware, wots ur budget? i too am i teenager and bort a gaming rig last sept, u cd prob get it now for £500, wich is pretty gd given the performance it offers. I use this comp as a server and for web/multimedia stuff just over a broadband connection (2meg) and for a 10 man CSS server it runs fine with decent enuff pings. Just remember to get the best value parts, i.e. AMD X2s are extremely good value atm (not jus cos i gt 1 :) ) i.e. my 4600 beats the equivilant core duo in game benchmarks but not on paper and is loads cheaper. Dual core is defo the way forward for you, and is affordable.

-you will need more ram, AT LEAST 512. If u giv me ur budget il b able to make some more relevant recomendations.

I recommed 2GB to 4GB for a gaming server.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.