I am trying to setup a Linksys router with a computer formally on DSL (SBC YAHOO). I can setup the router and get a wireless signal, but the desktop will not pull a webpage. It will ping the internet (4.2.2.2), but will not ping yahoo.com or anything else. It is set to obtain a DNS server automatically. I deleted all sbc software, and tried everything else I can think of. Does anyone have any ideas I can try. Currently the wireless works through the router, but to use the desktop I have to hook the DSL back up. I assume it is some setting in the desktop, but I am out of ideas. It pulls an IP address, but webpages wont come up.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Go to Start->run->enter 'cmd'

then, in the command prompt, enter ipconfig /all

and post the result here, or

enter ipconfig /all > ip.txt

and post the content of the file ip.txt here.

Michael

I am trying to setup a Linksys router with a computer formally on DSL (SBC YAHOO). I can setup the router and get a wireless signal, but the desktop will not pull a webpage. It will ping the internet (4.2.2.2), but will not ping yahoo.com or anything else. It is set to obtain a DNS server automatically. I deleted all sbc software, and tried everything else I can think of. Does anyone have any ideas I can try. Currently the wireless works through the router, but to use the desktop I have to hook the DSL back up. I assume it is some setting in the desktop, but I am out of ideas. It pulls an IP address, but webpages wont come up.

did you make sure it is configured for sbc correctly? you have to put in the main email address and password in the fields along with someother info. Call sbc and they will walk you through the whole process ;)

Are you connecting this pc to the internet with dsl or are you utilizing a different connection? i.e. cable...... You OS connection wizard should automatically recognize your connection and walk you right through. I had dsl and cable at one point and could connect one or the other and get right on the web...Through the router. This is how I ultimately decided that cable was better suited for me.

The router is hooked up to a DSL modem and the router is taking over the task of authenticating the password and seems to be functioning properly- hence my ability to utilize the laptop wirelessly, but the desktop will not open web pages. I assume that it is some setting in the desktop, but I am lost as to what it could be.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.