Not sure how to ask this, it’s my first time ever in a group like this.

So I’ll just explain what’s happing. 9 computers on a network all working fine as far as getting to the network drives. But 2 of the computers will lose internet connection on and off like from every 10 min. to just about any time. Seems to lose it if no activity on the internet has been going on for a bit. Odd think is they both will lose internet at the same time and get it back at the same time. The other 7 seem to be fine all the time. The only thing that has changed is phone modems were added to all 9 computers for faxing. No dial up are listed in internet explorer on any of them all are set for connecting by LAN only and all have a network card. I am thinking it’s a router causing it or some how just them 2 are conflicting some how. Any ideas on what may be causing this. Seems sometimes after opening internet explorer 8 or 9 times bring them back on line to the internet. Outlook is always running and set to check for email every 3 min. and will also give a pop error when the internet connection is lost.. Thanks for any idea that may be causing this.

Shannon

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

i had a similar problem and i disabled/uninstalled the lan cards on the two machines and re installed and reconfigured it. also check the switch/router by inter changing the RJ 45 ports and the lan cable RJ 45 ports.

Check the properties of the network hardware. There should be a "Power Management" tab. Ensure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not check.

Ensure that there isn't an auto-disconnect setting. Use this guide to turn off auto-disconnect.

Check the properties of the network hardware. There should be a "Power Management" tab. Ensure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not check.

Ensure that there isn't an auto-disconnect setting. Use this guide to turn off auto-disconnect.

It was and I un-checked it. Ill see it its still doing it monday. Thanks

It was and I unchecked it, i'll see if its still doing it monday.
Thanks

I did move the RJ 45 on one of them and it seems to be staying on line, I'll check them both on monday to see if they keep the internet going. Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.