We have a small network set up in our appartment, using a cable modem, and a 4 port wired router. The four of us each use one port on the router, but I recently got another computer that I would like to add to the network.

I found something called an "ethernet switch" on the best buy website. Could I use one of these in my room to connect both of my computers together, and then connect the switch to the router? And would both of my computers still show up on the network?

Also, the cheapest switch has 5 ports, could I just use that to replace our router?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

We have a small network set up in our appartment, using a cable modem, and a 4 port wired router. The four of us each use one port on the router, but I recently got another computer that I would like to add to the network.

I found something called an "ethernet switch" on the best buy website. Could I use one of these in my room to connect both of my computers together, and then connect the switch to the router? And would both of my computers still show up on the network?

Also, the cheapest switch has 5 ports, could I just use that to replace our router?

You should not have any problem connecting a switch to one port of the router. So long as you havn't configured the router to give out only 4 IP addresses you're in good shape. So run your port of the router to the Switch, then connect as many computers to it.
If you can't get an IP address, then you have to make sure the router is configured properly, you should be able to assign up to 254 IP addresses in any router.

A router is a switch with routing functions that are necessary to connect to your broadband connection and can also include other devices, such as a hardware firewall and DHCP server, so a regular switch is unable to replace your router. My recommendation is to buy whatever switch fits your price range (I have an 8-port Linksys switch that works great), connect a cable from one of the LAN ports on your router to the uplink port on your switch, and connect the additional PCs to the switch.

Most switches do not have any configuration to set, you just plug devices in and connect the switch to its powersupply. You also shouldn't have to change any settings on your router. If you have your router's DHCP server turned on, all the machines will be added to the network automatically.

How to assign up to 254 IP addresses in any router.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.