We went from a VPN I.P. network to a thin client network a couple months ago. All clients are shared on 2 DHCP Servers.

Our office is a LAN that connects to those servers that are a little over 100 miles from here & latency is an issue, a big issue. The company that set up those servers tried several different ways to speed up our connection & My counterpart in Cincy had another T1 installed at their location but it's still very slow.

Myself, I would think another T1 here, we have 2, would help with the latency between us & the servers. Anyone have any Idea's about this problem?

Thanks,
Skip

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Sounds like a possible bottleneck somewhere but the architecture of the network would have to be known to examine if this could be the cause or not. Could also check the routers to be sure the proper protocols and schemes are being used for efficiently. And yeah sure you can alway add more lines if you have the money but if you aren't using what you have efficiently why would one assume when you get more you will be in a better spot.

Remind the administrator that messages going down the line are like vehicles on the road. Sometimes in order to speed some things up you have to slow others down. If all your clients are fighting to get to the mainline all at once, well there is your bottleneck. If they wait patiently like a queue and slowly work thier way to it once they get there it's all open road baby!!!

You guys have made a couple good points. Here, I have TW versa pack, cisco 1800 series router and linksys 10/100 switches. We were going to go with gigabit switches but it was decided not to. Also, I've got 23 people using HP thin clients & 4 still using P.C.'s. Most of these people are using the internet for personal use a good part of the day, shopping, selling, sports, banking, ect.

Had a web filter in place but had to shut it down because it was slowing us down also.
Thanks for your feed back.

GREAT RESOLUTION!!!! Yeah networks can be painful to troubleshoot. Even the greatest of us can lose sight of the obvious stuff at times as complicated as things get. A great mentor also once introduced me to packet tracer it's a great program that let's you assemble virtual networks for testing. You can also keep the configuration of you current network as a file and introduce new things or take existing things out for testing purposes to help keep your network running at an optimal level. Worth checking out for any administrator IMHO. Great work!!!

I looked at the packet tracer you mentioned & will download & try it out. Never heard of that. I've used different packet sniffers & web filters/ blockers. This looks really usefull. Just need to learn the program.

Thank you Predator,
Skip

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.