We have a few (10) PC at my work. All but two connect through a switch (Linksys SRW2016) to our T1 internet which goes through a SonicWall. The two laptops connect to a seperate wireless router that is then plugged also into the aforementioned switch.
The wireless computers can connect to each other, but they cannot connect to the LAN network or internet. One laptop runs XP Pro SP3, the other Vista Home Premium.

I have tried both a NetGear and Linksys wireless router with same results

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Open a command prompt on the wireless laptops and type IPCONFIG /ALL. compare the results to those computers on the LAN that have access to the network and internet. Are they on the same subnet? If not, you'll either need to configure the network equipment so that they are on the same subnet, or if they will remain on a different subnet, you'll need to configure the appropriate routing on your infrastructure.

Open a command prompt on the wireless laptops and type IPCONFIG /ALL. compare the results to those computers on the LAN that have access to the network and internet. Are they on the same subnet? If not, you'll either need to configure the network equipment so that they are on the same subnet, or if they will remain on a different subnet, you'll need to configure the appropriate routing on your infrastructure.

Yes, they are all on the same Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

The computer that connect (or at least the one I'm on now) has few other differences.
It has our servers address for the "DNS Suffix Search List" as well as for the "Connection Specific DNS Suffix". The laptop has blanks for those.
Also, the DHCP and DNS Server(s) have 192.168.1.2 on the working computers, 192.168.1.1 on the laptops

Thanks

AT the network and Internet applet in control panel in Windows 7. from here you can configure wireless networks, or the LAN TCP/IP settings.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.