Howdy, I just got a wireless router without the RS-232 serial port on it and didn't realize i needed it for dialup connection cause i'm an idiot..

but is there any way I can get the router to work? it just has an ethernet connection for the modem on the back... I have an extra hub lying around too if that would help any..

I just want to be able to use my laptop around the house without having to run my cable everywhere.. do i need to take it back? or can i get it working any way with this router?

thanks for your time and help

--Jordan

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Well, I tried hooking it up this way. The DU Connection is on a Desktop PC, from the NIC of the Desktop I have it hooked up to a HUB. From the routers modem connection I have it hooked up to the hub. And then the hub hooked back up to the routers 1-4 LAN ports. This works all and well of course for the network wirelessly. I can connect at great strength to the network wirelessly, but I cannot get to my shared Internet Connection. I'm guessing because the Internet Connection is shared across the Hub and not the Router that this is the reason I can not connect to the internet wirelessly? Is there anyway I can get this to work?? Thanks for any help.

--Jordan

While I'm not to sure how internet connection sharing works, have you verified you have connectivity between the wireless pc and the desktop pc?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.