Hello all, I have a small office that im dealing with that has this configuration: A cable router that plugs into a dialer, that then plugs into a 6 plug switch. 4 of the plugs go directly to four different computers via ethernet and one goes to a linksys wirelss router/AP that has two wireless computers that link to that.

The problem that I'm having is trying to network all of the computers to share files and one printer. The two wireless computer have no problem linking up to eachother to share files, but i can't get any of the wired computers to link up to my wireless computers in "my network places." could someone please help me out with a step by step instruction on how to get everyting configured properly thanks.

Greg

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello all, I have a small office that im dealing with that has this configuration: A cable router that plugs into a dialer, that then plugs into a 6 plug switch. 4 of the plugs go directly to four different computers via ethernet and one goes to a linksys wirelss router/AP that has two wireless computers that link to that.

The problem that I'm having is trying to network all of the computers to share files and one printer. The two wireless computer have no problem linking up to eachother to share files, but i can't get any of the wired computers to link up to my wireless computers in "my network places." could someone please help me out with a step by step instruction on how to get everyting configured properly thanks.

Greg

hi mate, firstly, is the wireless router fire walled? this may restrict access to the 6 port switch from the wireless computers?, does the linksys wlan router have spare ethernet ports? - often they have a couple you could try and plug the current 4 computers via cat5 into the wlan router, if that doesnt work, try the 6 port switch into the router, so rather than the wlan router being the last in the chain the switch is. and lastly you could try making the current 4 wireless by means of a usb adaptor of pc card. hope this helps
darren

Thanks for the response.

I'm sure the Linksys is firewalled so i will check it out to make sure its allowing access to the switch. I thought maybe i had to configure it to be in AP mode and not router mode, but wasn't sure how to do that. Or something with the configuring of the IP setup since it is acting like a stand alone router and network, and not as an acces point that it should be.

I'm helping out a friend in doing this because they know absolutely nothing about computers. And they didn't want to pay someone a bundle just to get this set up right. so i dont know when i wil be able to fix it for them, but will try out all that you advised when i have time to help. It seems like i should have been fine with how it's set up, but you're right the firewall may be the issue.

thanks again, anyone else with information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the response.

I'm sure the Linksys is firewalled so i will check it out to make sure its allowing access to the switch. I thought maybe i had to configure it to be in AP mode and not router mode, but wasn't sure how to do that. Or something with the configuring of the IP setup since it is acting like a stand alone router and network, and not as an acces point that it should be.

I'm helping out a friend in doing this because they know absolutely nothing about computers. And they didn't want to pay someone a bundle just to get this set up right. so i dont know when i wil be able to fix it for them, but will try out all that you advised when i have time to help. It seems like i should have been fine with how it's set up, but you're right the firewall may be the issue.

thanks again, anyone else with information is greatly appreciated.

no worries mate, as for changing it to access point, 192.168.1.10 should be the web config for the linksys router , although the differs from model to model, the way you have it set up should be fine, just need to get it all talking to each other then your all sorted!

darren

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.