when I insert ip address by clicking Network connections---> and click on Ethernet properties and change properties of IPv4--> select "use the following ip" and put ip address but as I click "ok" ip address automatically removed and the option "obtain the ip automatically " selected.
when I use ipconfig command from command prompt it shows the ip I put. I can ping other devices like printer, other PC but cannot able to give print command from my PC.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Since IPCONFIG is showing the address you assigned, chalk it up as a bug. Be aware Microsoft won't be fixing that one.

Printing however would require a lot more setup than just the IP addresses so I take it you are not here to discuss the printing issue.

commented: I don’t believe this is correct. -8

Why are you wanting to manually enter an IP address instead of allowing your router to use DHCP to assign one to you?

When manually entering an IP address, you also need to manually enter the default gateway and a DNS server, if memory serves correctly. Otherwise, it will know its own IP address but but how to contact any other devices or websites, which seems to be what is happening here.

Dani,
I recall the oddity with Windows 8's networking GUI. So what's wrong here? Is it my thought that Microsoft won't be fixing it or is it your Windows 8.x experience differs?

I have not used a Windows machine in quite some time as my Apple engineer husband implemented a mac-only law in my house. However, what I think happened was the Windows 8 GUI was basically alerting them that you can't have a static IP without also specifying a default gateway, but it set it anyways.

As far as your comment on the printer, I'm not sure what you mean about requiring a lot more setup. I think not specifying a default gateway and DNS servers is the reason why the print command isn't working, and fixing that should resolve the problem on its own.

Off-Topic: After Apple failing to help me recover my Apple Account and losing 2 Apple phones since I couldn't remove them from my Apple Account my rule is No More Apple Products.

It's an awful company that I'm glad I won't have to deal with ever again for my own gear.

Can't you factory reset the phones and associate them with a new Apple account?

No. I am still able to log into my Apple account but can't remove them since I forget the answers to the other 3 security questions. I spent days trying to work this issue, went to the Genius Bar, called Apple, and in the end it was clear. Apple didn't care. They were more than willing to setup a new account for a new phone but my two old iPhones were going to be locked to that account forever.

I was not trying to sell them but give them to some refugees. Gave up, bought them a few Android phones and from then on, Apple is not a company I will buy from.

Sorry you had such a poor experience. I have always been a Windows gal (specifically, Dell) for work, with an iMac at home. Then, when I moved to Palo Alto from NY, everyone, and I mean everyone had a mac laptop. I got one as well because I was looking for a lightweight laptop I could bring to coffee shops to work. It ended up being a horrible, horrible experience. I think there was something wrong with the video card and Apple was unable to diagnose it properly. I have no idea. But it was a horrible experience.

I started dating Ziv, and he tried to help me with it, but we never really properly figured out what was wrong with it. Then, when Apple released their Macbook Pro line with the M1 chip, Ziv really wanted me to get it, so that's what I use now with no issues.

I still have my Dell, but it's now nearing a decade old, and while it has absolutely amazing specs even by today's standards, it doesn't support TPM and therefore can't run Windows 11. Here's a picture of it from way back in 2014: https://twitter.com/DaniWeb/status/442061151346909185

commented: Feel free to clean up this thread of the off topic dialogue about Apple. +17

To get back on track, @rahulrevolution, did my suggestion work?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.