I have a dell dimension desktop with windows XP Home, and a Dell inspiron laptop with windows XP home, I have them connected by cable to a belkin router. My printer is connected to the desktop, I have run the network setup wizard on both computers, still one computer will not find the other. I am in the administrator status on both computers. I have also tried to add a new printer to the laptop, The laptop will not find the printer. (note: the printer is a HP 1210 all in one, and it works great on the desktop). I would appreciate all the help I can get on this. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I have a dell dimension desktop with windows XP Home, and a Dell inspiron laptop with windows XP home, I have them connected by cable to a belkin router. My printer is connected to the desktop, I have run the network setup wizard on both computers, still one computer will not find the other. I am in the administrator status on both computers. I have also tried to add a new printer to the laptop, The laptop will not find the printer. (note: the printer is a HP 1210 all in one, and it works great on the desktop). I would appreciate all the help I can get on this. Thanks

First you might have to setup your notebook manually to join the network via add a network place,select browse and click the plus signs until you see the correct network and follow the prompts.Or try letting your dell wireless card utility tool manage the wireless and if you've security setup make sure that you've the WEP/WAP network key.And you may need to install the printer software on the notebook make sure it is set as the default printer and if the desktop isn't active(mean not in hibernation or sleep mode) the printer will not be reconized by your notebook when quering to print. Let me know if this helps or not.

First you might have to setup your notebook manually to join the network via add a network place,select browse and click the plus signs until you see the correct network and follow the prompts.Or try letting your dell wireless card utility tool manage the wireless and if you've security setup make sure that you've the WEP/WAP network key.And you may need to install the printer software on the notebook make sure it is set as the default printer and if the desktop isn't active(mean not in hibernation or sleep mode) the printer will not be reconized by your notebook when quering to print. Let me know if this helps or not.

I tried to set my laptop up manually, I went to the add a network place, browse, I cannot get network icons, My laptop will not recognize my desktop and vise/versa, I also set the software for my printer on the laptop, still cannot add a printer. I am not trying to set this up wireless, I have a ethernet cable from both computers into my router. The printer is plugged into my desktop, I don't know what is meant by (Wep/Wap network key), unless it is the same key as my wireless network. one note: I am running google browser sync on both computers, and that is working on both, I can move bookmarks and other online info from one computer to the other. I have tried all the microsoft instructions and the belkin instructions to no avail. it has got to be something simple. also both computers are running Win XP Home. Thanks for the help.

What I mean by WEP/WAP is the security setting, do you've it setup on the router? These are wireless security protocols that help secure wireless networks but seeing that you're not using the router wirelessly. You seem like you know what your doing so, I'll ask if all your computers are in the same workgroup same ip range and subnet?? Have you enable the printer to shared on the network?Also if you haven't taken a look at your firewall setting look at that, sometimes they are the problem. Let me know OK

I have both computers with the same workgroup, i.p. range on one is: 192.168.2.2, the other 192.168.2.3, Printer is enabled to share, Zone Alarm Firewall is set on Meb. to allow share. I appreciate your help on this matter. I am stumped,

I don't know my friend rmadd, from what I can think of it looks like everything has been covered except a reinstall or maybe try some third party software to connect the network together. I bet its like you said it something simple.

I don't know my friend rmadd, from what I can think of it looks like everything has been covered except a reinstall or maybe try some third party software to connect the network together. I bet its like you said it something simple.

Had to physically install the ip numbers into zonealarm Firewall/Zones and save them. Thanks reezin14 for your help and patience. Ron

Glad I could help, may need your time and patience sometime. We both said it was something simple.:rolleyes:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.