hello
i m having a problem with my new wireless conection...so here it goes

i have a Sagem 1500WG router and a NetGear WG111 wireless usb adapter on my desktop pc (windowsXP pro serv.pack2,pentium4 cpu 2.8,512mb ram) .

For a couple o weeks everything
run smoothly.The last two days though something aint right.Leds are all as they used to,green and sparky, the connection is
well established at the startup but 7 to 8 min after the connection is lost.The status of the adapter is stil"connected" to the network!!! I ve tested the usb adapter to my laptop and seems to
work fine .I ve tried to close my firewall ,i ve run a antivirus checkup and a reg clean up...i ve even monitor the cpu
usage while able to connect and afterwards to see the changes in the running programs.

So the adapter s fine,the router s fine ,the pc s fine(or so i think).I dont know what to do! I m not so much into these things so any sugestions,any at all, would be deeply appreciated!!!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

it's not an issue with the pc, rather the router, reset the router and your modem to see what happens.

already done that...nothing happens.the problem remains

even if your adapter still says connected it might just be that lovely auto config ip address on it...can you check your ip address?

well, i just figured that the status of the adapter is valid and i am indeed connected to the network...I accidentaly open my limewire and find out that i can normally browse files download etc.!!!! Still i can not open nor internet explorer 7 neither firefox!!! WHAT S WRONG WITH IT???Any clues

The fact that both Firefox and IE are affected but configured independently tell me that it is unlikely that the problem is a configuration problem with those programs however it's always best to verify. Go with the most simple things then work your way up to more complex possibilities. Would you be able to open a command window and type in 'ping www.google.com' and 'ping 64.233.167.99' and paste the output in this thread. I am assuming that your ISP is not blocking ICMP traffic.
Another way to confirm that your PC is not the problem is to connect the PC directly to the router/switch and test using a wired connection. If that connection doesn't work then you know it's between the router and ISP or possibly the computer, if it does then you know that the problem is with possibly the router to the WiFi NIC. Please keep in mind that there may be interference caused by other WiFi AP's (access points) or possibly cordless phones, etc.

my desktop pc doesn t have a built in ethernet card(think it s about time i go and get one) so i m going with the first suggestion.here it is

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.
C:\DOCUME~1\NEW_2>ping www.google.com
Pinging www.l.google.com [209.85.129.147] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 209.85.129.147: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=243
Reply from 209.85.129.147: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=243
Reply from 209.85.129.147: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=243
Reply from 209.85.129.147: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=243
Ping statistics for 209.85.129.147:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 56ms, Maximum = 61ms, Average = 58ms
C:\DOCUME~1\NEW_2>ping 64.233.167.99
Pinging 64.233.167.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=163ms TTL=239
Request timed out.
Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=161ms TTL=239
Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=164ms TTL=239
Ping statistics for 64.233.167.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 161ms, Maximum = 164ms, Average = 162ms
C:\DOCUME~1\NEW_2>

did you get anything out of it?

That tells me that the DNS settings and all of the part of the network connection are working. at least at the time that you did the ping test.
You did have one packet lost on the second protion. You cannot place too much importaince on that though as ICMP traffic is low priority and would be the first to be dropped.
When you search for availible WiFi networks, do you see more than one? If so I would recommend changing the default setting for the channel. In 802.11b/g there are only 3 non overlapping channels, 1,6,and 11. Many times if there is another WiFi router in the area that is broadcasting on the same frequency the signals can cause interference.

Look for a program online called Netstumbler. It will tell you about WiFi networks that are within range of your location. Look for other networks that may be interfering.
Let me know how that works.

did you try booting in safe mode?

Default safe mode will disable network connections.

safe mode with networking...its in xp.

Netstumbler indicates there is another network nearby but i m sure is not interfering with mine since my laptop has no issues connecting wireless.i already knew the specific network from the windows connection wiz.(though don t know its source) back then when i was able to connect without problems...snif

I ve also tried to reboot in safe networking mode, saddly without any results.I m only able to surf for 7 min. with my internet browsers and thats it.:sad:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.