hi
i was wondering how can we make a peer to peer network
i have a laptop and a PC and i wanna share some files
and play games

how can i set up the peer to peer network!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

local or through internet?

If you want to use wires(much easier and cheaper than wireless) then you you need 2 ethernet network cards (you may have one already built in, it looks kinda like a phone line socket, otherwise you will have to buythem and plug them into your motherboad yourself)

You will also need acrossover cable. The cable must be crossover. They are more expensive usually than the regular "patch" ones. Do not buy a patch one as it is not suitable for directly linking two machines together.

Once you tell us whether you want to share your interner access then we can tell you how to actually configure your network. What operating system are you running by the way?

If you want to use wires(much easier and cheaper than wireless) then you you need 2 ethernet network cards (you may have one already built in, it looks kinda like a phone line socket, otherwise you will have to buythem and plug them into your motherboad yourself)

You will also need acrossover cable. The cable must be crossover. They are more expensive usually than the regular "patch" ones. Do not buy a patch one as it is not suitable for directly linking two machines together.

Once you tell us whether you want to share your interner access then we can tell you how to actually configure your network. What operating system are you running by the way?

i have vista on my laptop
and xp on the PC
but the question here can we still share files?

yes, i share between linux, a PDA, windows xp, windows 2000 and windows 2003 no problem

there may be some configuration issues (we can help you) if you try to link a "home" version of XP and a buisness version of vista or vice versa.

Please tell me what versions of both you have

XP - home? , pro? , media?
Vista - home? , buisness?, ultimate?

you can share printers, files and interner using a simple network like the one i described.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.