I'm at a complete loss at what to try next. My computer was working fine last week. It's a Asus K8N Motherboard with an AMD64FX. I've been connecting to the internet fine with no trouble, even with TrendMicro Firewall running (I use PCCillian Internet Security 2007). I shutdown my computer to go away for a long weekend and left the router and modem running. When I came back and started my computer, all computers (through cat5e or through wireless) Are barely able to get a page to load. Most of the time any internet connection attempt times out.

If I shut my computer down, I'm able to access the internet fine through a wireless laptop and through the other computer wired to the router.

I also have a Tivo hooked up to the connection and that is working fine too (when my computer is not up).

I've run virus scans, spyware scans, examining processes. I have a Hijack this log, bu I need to get it off the computer so I can put it up on a forum using another computer :(

Does anyone have any suggestions. When I run the task manager, the only thing I see using up CPU is svchosts.exe (it jumps from 0 to anywhere between 13 and 23% every other cycle). I don't see anything running out of the ordinary.

Thanks,
John

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hi, most probably your system has been hacked, check the event viewer, see if you can find any event log that is suspicious..just an idea..hope that helps..

>hi, most probably your system has been hacked, check the event viewer, see if you can find any event log that is suspicious..just an idea..hope that helps..

that doesn't seem likely because the computer was off the whole time. And if it was hacked, the hacker probably erased the log events, so that wouldn't do you any good. You could have a defective nic. Sometimes when nics go bad they will flood the network with packets. You can take out a nic from another computer and put it in the defective one and see what happens.

I've started to suspect the NIC. It's built into the MOBO and I just upgraded it. I still have a standalone NIC. I will plug it in and see if that helps. At least then I can isolate the problem. Just strange that it's just starting to act up. Anyone have any suggstions for programs hat could detect network packet slow downs or flodding? Thanks.

Problem solved. I put in a NIC card and got the same problem, but when I replaced the network cable, things sped up fine.

Thanks for the advice.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.