I recently purchased a domain name from godaddy, and have been unable to link it with apache which i am running from my home on a server. The server uses windows xp (because of my lack of linux skills). I though i might have to point my domain name to my apache or something of the sorts. I am really lost right now, and any help would be very useful. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Please resend this massage stating exactly whats your intention with this apache perhaps with some solutions you may realize that you don't really need that apeche server at all, I would try by all means to assist you with your DNS problem.

I want to use Appache to host a webpage from my server at home. Through a domain purchases on godaddy.

I solved my appache and DNS problems through the dynamic services, which I receive for free from DynDNS. its a free service, they allow you create up to 5 free hostnames or domains for free there is a lot of help for this problem in this sit. its called www.dyndns.org.

in godaddy's dns interface, add an a record for your ip as well as another one called www.

that way your url will be resolved to your ip, where your apache lives. don't forget to portforward (if needed).

usually the dns update takes some time to spread to the world's dns servers, up to 48 hours, so don't expect everything to work right away

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.