I reformat my secondary computer as it was slow and all of my stuff had been moved. Previous to this it was able to access the shared printers and files on my new computer. We have a linksys router and the reformatted computer is able to serve the internet, etc, but can not share the network resources. I didn't copy down the network settings before I reformatted which in hindsight would have saved me a lot of hassle. I get this error message when i attempt to connect to the work group.

Error Message Reads:
Workgroup name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if yo have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not availble.

I haven't changed the shared folders properties on the other computer, to which the printers are attachted, will be m oving them to there own printer server soon.

I also copied the networking settings from the other computer to this one and it gave me an error message about the static IP adress being used by another computer. Do I need to enter in this information on this system or just obtain IP address automatically?

Any help is appericated. If you ask if I can do some please explain how to do it, such as ping the computers, etc.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Take a look at what workgroup's name you have set in the my computer properties panel.

Start your diagnosis using clues in the error thrown by windows.

Good luck.

Done that, talking to someone from lynksys, and it appears as though it has something to do with the firewalls installed on both computers. Able to ping both computers now.

If you run the XP Networking Wizard it will fix the firewall settings for you.

Go into my network places or network connections and click "Set up a small home/office network" to do this. Tell it your workgroup name when it asks for it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.