Hello, just a quick question. I've a blown A-Open FSP250-60GTA power supply, and am of course looking for a replacement.

I'm basically new to power supplies and I'm wondering, will i need THAT exact model before my PC will run again?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hey Kiel...no you don't have to go with the same PSU, as a mater of fact, it looks like your 12v rail's max was 8A, that's kind of puny. As for manufacturers, I'm biassed toward Antec, you can count on getting what's advertised with them. Some manufacturers will rate a PSU as say 350W only to find that this is a peak power level, not RMS. If you stick with a major manufacturer you shouldn't have any of these problems. The link below may help you. Good luck

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD

Hey Kiel...no you don't have to go with the same PSU, as a mater of fact, it looks like your 12v rail's max was 8A, that's kind of puny. As for manufacturers, I'm biassed toward Antec, you can count on getting what's advertised with them. Some manufacturers will rate a PSU as say 350W only to find that this is a peak power level, not RMS. If you stick with a major manufacturer you shouldn't have any of these problems. The link below may help you. Good luck

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD

Ok so I took that test and have a minimum of 143 watts. Now I just go looking for a decent 143+ watt power supply that will fit my case?

Me Too Will Say Same Thing Try And Get One Thats Comaptible 8a And Try To Getit Running Best Of Luck

First of all, let me appologize...your 12V rail has a max. load of 13A.

I would not go with anything smaller than what you had in there, which was a 250W PSU.

First of all, let me appologize...your 12V rail has a max. load of 13A.

I would not go with anything smaller than what you had in there, which was a 250W PSU.

I have a spare 200W, would that do? It's also quite small and won't fit inside my case, but it should be fine to just sit it in there, no?

Also, if your answers to the above are no, how much, in Australian dollars, would a 250W cost me? Or give me another currency and I'll convert it.

Thanks for your help so far.

Yours,
Kiel

You should be able to scrounge up a 250 to 350w power supply.

If the power supply dont fit you cant comit...
(Sorry, maybe I did watch too much of the OJ trial)

Do some scrounging and you should be able to come up with a power supply for $10 us if not free...

Many people upgrade and toss 250w power supplies.

If you just want to test that motherboard, you can use that power supply you have. but for regular use... get one that fits.

If I have my information correct, you're living in a city with a population of 40,000, and Perth is just up the road. With cities of this size you should have scads of computer shops to find a used PSU, just make sure you get a guarantee that it's not DOA before you buy it. If you can get one for free, so much the better. I still say to stay with at least a 250W PSU.

I wouldn't advise having that PSU floating around inside, but Thong Ispector has good point about testing the mobo, just make sure the PSU is well isolated form any other components.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.