Okay so here's how it's happened.

With an old 700mhz CPU, a MSI ms-6309 mobo, some 20gig HDD and about 380mb of ram, I cracked her open and installed a new video card. Oh and the "old" (old being the one before the one I'm installing) card was some 16mb piece of shit. Anyways, I install a 64mb Nvidia and hope for the best. It doesn't work (series of beeps from my motherboard), and I can't be bothered figuring out why, so I simply put in the 16mb, install the drivers from the 64mb's CD, and shut down.

I remove the 16mb once again, put in the 64mb, and it still doesn't work. So I put the 16mb in yet again, and everything's back to normal. I decide to remove the 64mb's drivers, though since they're the same manufacturer, I removed the 16mb's.

So of course the PC was sitting there with Quake and Counterstrike unplayable because of it's non-changeable 16 color 640 x 480 setting. I buy a 16mb card from eBay, and get fed up waiting.

I open her up, grab a motherboard I had lieing around, unplug EVERYTHING from the ms-6309, put in the found motherboard, and realise the case doesn't fit it. So I put the ms-6309 back in, install all the plugs and didn't even think I'd come to a problem, until *dun dun dun* front panel connectors.

After hours and hours of finding the manual for the mobo, and not having any power on the PC itself because I couldn't figure out the combination they plug in, I finally did it correctly as to what it says in the manual. Everything connected, spiffy, case nice and closed (note: the 64mb is still in there, if that makes a difference), press the power button, and nothing. Absolutely zip, nothing even goes to load.

I've no idea what to do, help if you can. Any information you need I am willing to provide.

//Kiel

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

Okay so here's how it's happened.

With an old 700mhz CPU, a MSI ms-6309 mobo, some 20gig HDD and about 380mb of ram, I cracked her open and installed a new video card. Oh and the "old" (old being the one before the one I'm installing) card was some 16mb piece of shit. Anyways, I install a 64mb Nvidia and hope for the best. It doesn't work (series of beeps from my motherboard), and I can't be bothered figuring out why, so I simply put in the 16mb, install the drivers from the 64mb's CD, and shut down.

I remove the 16mb once again, put in the 64mb, and it still doesn't work. So I put the 16mb in yet again, and everything's back to normal. I decide to remove the 64mb's drivers, though since they're the same manufacturer, I removed the 16mb's.

So of course the PC was sitting there with Quake and Counterstrike unplayable because of it's non-changeable 16 color 640 x 480 setting. I buy a 16mb card from eBay, and get fed up waiting.

I open her up, grab a motherboard I had lieing around, unplug EVERYTHING from the ms-6309, put in the found motherboard, and realise the case doesn't fit it. So I put the ms-6309 back in, install all the plugs and didn't even think I'd come to a problem, until *dun dun dun* front panel connectors.

After hours and hours of finding the manual for the mobo, and not having any power on the PC itself because I couldn't figure out the combination they plug in, I finally did it correctly as to what it says in the manual. Everything connected, spiffy, case nice and closed (note: the 64mb is still in there, if that makes a difference), press the power button, and nothing. Absolutely zip, nothing even goes to load.

I've no idea what to do, help if you can. Any information you need I am willing to provide.

//Kiel

Well, I've just had the fright of my life. I guess it was the power-supply after all, want to know why? Out of boredom I went to try work on it again, at the back of the power supply is a little red switch, I flick it, hear a small sound and then BZZZ a big bright blue spark flashes the whole room and gives me a sore hand.

Tell me, what's salvagable? I really only want the RAM as there's a brand new 256mb and a working 128mb in there, and, claiming it on warranty (;)), can I safely flick the red switch back to how it was, zip her up and send it back?

This switch is the voltage setting ;). Did you turn it to 115V? In Canada or the US the power voltage is 120V, in Australia it is 240V. So I have to set it at the 115V setting, you have to keep it at 240V or whatever is the other option.

You MIGHT have toasted some of your hardware. If it is under warranty, I guess you could try to return it back...

This switch is the voltage setting ;). Did you turn it to 115V? In Canada or the US the power voltage is 120V, in Australia it is 240V. So I have to set it at the 115V setting, you have to keep it at 240V or whatever is the other option.

You MIGHT have toasted some of your hardware. If it is under warranty, I guess you could try to return it back...

All of the parts except the 256mb RAM stick came with it anyways. I'll take it out and hope it works. Meanwhile, it's safe to flick the switch back?

make sure youve unpluggled the power from the wall and should be fine. at what setting did you turn it to?

I've got to ask...
Who is going to warrantee a 700mhz machine...
Where did you get it, how long ago?

When you flipped that switch you sent power directly to ground.

Most if not all of the components could be fine.

Were you installing an AGP video card...
AGP v1.0 is 3.3 volts and AGP v2.0 is 1.5 volts...
Please note I am not refering to 1x, 2x or 4x or 8x

Does the new card have one notch or two...
If it has one notch does the notch match the card you are replacing..

I've got to ask...
Who is going to warrantee a 700mhz machine...
Where did you get it, how long ago?

When you flipped that switch you sent power directly to ground.

Most if not all of the components could be fine.

Were you installing an AGP video card...
AGP v1.0 is 3.3 volts and AGP v2.0 is 1.5 volts...
Please note I am not refering to 1x, 2x or 4x or 8x

Does the new card have one notch or two...
If it has one notch does the notch match the card you are replacing..

I want to warranty the 700mhz computer because I've just got if off eBay, had a working LAN etc and one week later the power supply "blows up" ;)

Got it about a week ago.

If it makes any difference, I flipped the switch with it plugged in.

I said to unplug it for precaution. If it didnt blow again it is alright then :).

So you say you bought it on Ebay without warranty and want to warranty it??? How would you do that? Usually peple sell things as is on Ebay.

I said to unplug it for precaution. If it didnt blow again it is alright then :).

So you say you bought it on Ebay without warranty and want to warranty it??? How would you do that? Usually peple sell things as is on Ebay.

I never said it didn't have a warranty :lol:

So you bought a 700mhz with a warranty on Ebay? Was it new and form who? heh heh, Im just curious. :D

Hiya Kiel,

when you finish getting that system going again, you should take up Case Modding as a hobby, and learn from this fella about the techniques you'll need to use:
http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40798

at the back of the power supply is a little red switch, I flick it, hear a small sound and then BZZZ a big bright blue spark flashes the whole room and gives me a sore hand.

hahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

oooops, sorry. I couldn't resist that!

* slinks off chuckling.......

That is too funny....

Hiya Kiel,

when you finish getting that system going again, you should take up Case Modding as a hobby, and learn from this fella about the techniques you'll need to use:
http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40798

hahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

oooops, sorry. I couldn't resist that!

* slinks off chuckling.......

Ahaha, that's f*cking hilarious, and though you probably were choc-full of sarcasm, I've a couple of old cases lieing around :D

Glad you enjoyed it.

On a serious note, I hope you haven't damaged components other than the power unit, but it's quite possible that you have. If so, not much you can do about that except bang your head against the wall, I guess.

the 64Mb AGP card should'vebeen fine, as that mobo accomodates AGP 4X cards. Perhaps you simply knocked something loose when you changed it over, or failed to reset CMOS before trying to boot up again.

Glad you enjoyed it.

On a serious note, I hope you haven't damaged components other than the power unit, but it's quite possible that you have. If so, not much you can do about that except bang your head against the wall, I guess.

the 64Mb AGP card should'vebeen fine, as that mobo accomodates AGP 4X cards. Perhaps you simply knocked something loose when you changed it over, or failed to reset CMOS before trying to boot up again.

Uh oh..C..MOS?

u turned the psu to half voltage and DOUBLE voltage... ok someone is never ever getting hold or anywhere near my pc or where i work.. i hope u never touch peoples PC's again that's just restarded...

do you have any basic grasp of electronics? V=i/r.. thefore i-v/r meaning i=15/r = doubling load on resistance of psu...

u turned the psu to half voltage and DOUBLE voltage... ok someone is never ever getting hold or anywhere near my pc or where i work.. i hope u never touch peoples PC's again that's just restarded...

do you have any basic grasp of electronics? V=i/r.. thefore i-v/r meaning i=15/r = doubling load on resistance of psu...

Shit mate I'm sorry I'm not up to your standards in computers, though I'm looking forward to learning, I'll never be as good as you are, oh great one.

Last I checked these were computer support forums.

Thanks for the link Catweazle.

Too much, lmao!

Hey Kiel...I have to admit that I had not read the second page before I made my fisrt reply, I missed suRoot's diatribe. I personally belive this forum is for helping others and learning, while we may occasionally make fun of one another, I don't condone the type of personal abuse you received from suRoot. Having said this, you have to admit, some of this was pretty funny. As for suRoot, he wrote V=i/r, it should read V=IxR.
Good luck Kiel, dcc

Hey Kiel...I have to admit that I had not read the second page before I made my fisrt reply, I missed suRoot's diatribe. I personally belive this forum is for helping others and learning, while we may occasionally make fun of one another, I don't condone the type of personal abuse you received from suRoot. Having said this, you have to admit, some of this was pretty funny. As for suRoot, he wrote V=i/r, it should read V=IxR.
Good luck Kiel, dcc

Hey no, I don't mind a good baggin' every now and then, but suRoot sounded like he was serious.

"ok someone is never ever getting hold or anywhere near my pc or where i work.. i hope u never touch peoples PC's again that's just restarded.."

The way I see it, I learned something from this, and it won't happen again.

I hope what you learned is that there are people here who are willing to point you in the right direction, if not give you the occasional baggin! By the way, what is a restard?

A 'restard' is when a really, really stupid person presses the Reset button to see if it makes the DVD burn more quickly!

You mean that's a myth?

We do try to help people...
Sometimes people do stupid things...
We just hope you learned NOT to do that again...

There are all sorts of people on this board with all levels of ability

If you read carefully what they say you can sometimes figure out how much they know... Like this...

"u turned the psu to half voltage and DOUBLE voltage... " Wrong
You could not have done both...

"ok someone is never ever getting hold or anywhere near my pc or where i work.."
Does this make sense to ANYONE...?

" i hope u never touch peoples PC's again that's just restarded..."
It is nice of cat to give us the definition of restarded... I didn't know it...

"do you have any basic grasp of electronics? V=i/r.. thefore i-v/r meaning i=15/r = doubling load on resistance of psu..."
Formula as shown by others is not correct and it does not represent what you did. 110 is one hot and one common and one ground, 220 is two hots and a ground. We wont go into legs / phases and further discussion about that but what you did was to directly/indirectly tie your hot and common together.

Everyone here has good and bad days... Just ask my wife...
In general we are a helpful bunch...

If we poke a little fun dont take it personally.
No one here doubts you will EVER do that again...
You may have rubbed a few people the wrong way when you say you are going to return it under warrantee. The person that sold it to you was just like anyone here. The problem was NOT with the equipment, but with the user.

You say you have other boards and other cases around...
Consider it an expensive lesson...
You may have only smoked the power supply
Get back to work and see what still works and what does not.

We do try to help people...
Sometimes people do stupid things...
We just hope you learned NOT to do that again...

There are all sorts of people on this board with all levels of ability

If you read carefully what they say you can sometimes figure out how much they know... Like this...

"u turned the psu to half voltage and DOUBLE voltage... " Wrong
You could not have done both...

"ok someone is never ever getting hold or anywhere near my pc or where i work.."
Does this make sense to ANYONE...?

" i hope u never touch peoples PC's again that's just restarded..."
It is nice of cat to give us the definition of restarded... I didn't know it...

"do you have any basic grasp of electronics? V=i/r.. thefore i-v/r meaning i=15/r = doubling load on resistance of psu..."
Formula as shown by others is not correct and it does not represent what you did. 110 is one hot and one common and one ground, 220 is two hots and a ground. We wont go into legs / phases and further discussion about that but what you did was to directly/indirectly tie your hot and common together.

Everyone here has good and bad days... Just ask my wife...
In general we are a helpful bunch...

If we poke a little fun dont take it personally.
No one here doubts you will EVER do that again...
You may have rubbed a few people the wrong way when you say you are going to return it under warrantee. The person that sold it to you was just like anyone here. The problem was NOT with the equipment, but with the user.

You say you have other boards and other cases around...
Consider it an expensive lesson...
You may have only smoked the power supply
Get back to work and see what still works and what does not.

Thanks for taking the time to write a response, and I get what you're saying.

I realise what you mean and I do see the cruelty of my ways, I'll try buying a new power supply first.

Hey Thong Ispector...I hope you don't think that I was giving any credence to his "diagnosis", I was just pointing out that he couldn't even get the basics of Ohm's law right, you had it right...it was a short.

"I hope you don't think that I was giving any credence to his "diagnosis""
Not at all DCC...

There were just sooooo many things wrong with his post...

We all have a bad day once in awhile...
If we cant make fun of ourselves at least we can let others have some fun...

ok, im not tech genious but give this a shot
im lost in this forum so if you dont have power get a new power supply and if you do try this:
there should be a small battery inside, take it out and leave it out with the computer unplugged for 15 minutes
then try again
this resets your bios and it should let you use your 16mb crapics card if it doesnt work plug it back in and keep flicking that red switch
hahahahaha soz dude but thats gold!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.