I am at present running two DELL 19" flat screen monitors side by side from a dual video card, how many monitors can I run from one computer? Running two is the best money I ever spent and allows multi-tasking and drag and drop from one monitor to another, great for graphjics and web design work

dchrismoore commented: The video card that I have supports three monitors at once. Without special hardware, most modern cards support at least two. +1

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I have run ten monitors from one computer. It may be possible to do more.
I was using two quad output video cards and one dual output video card.
The quad cards were from Matrox and the dual card was an ATI chip card.
The systems I did this with were very high end workstations. Your results may vary.

10?

i thaught the max was 4

10?

i thaught the max was 4

I have two computers each configured with 10 monitors to run a display wall. The OS is Windows XP and they have been going strong 24x7 for a little over 1 year now.

Chris

I think that a big part of the reason this works is the way that the Matrox MMS video cards work. They actually state in their documentation that you can use two of their quad output cards in one computer to get eight displays. I added the third card on my own and I don’t know that any manufacturer had validated the configuration. That has not stopped it from working though...

what is the max number of monitors that can be ran from one pc?

commented: At some point, it must be limited by the available RAM and CPU resources that control the content of the computer’s output. It is more than 10. +1

I'm not sure if there is a maximum limit for displays? I have personally seen a system that had 24 displays attached, but I'm not sure what the specs were on the system, except that it had Windows XP installed.

There is a limit of 10 displays, but this is only a limit of the Display Properties Applet in the Control Panel. If you attach more than 10 monitors, you would also need a custom display properties applet that is capable of configuring the extra monitors.

Even now, you can get monitors that conect via USB, so it's limited only by the power of the host.

commented: Using USB display devices will ultimately be limited by the speed and power of the bus. How many of those can the interface support? +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.