I got this gateway computer from someone its a p4 2.17 ghz 512 ram. He gave it to me because it would not turn on. So i took it home and open the case and i reset the power supply since there was a reset button and it turned on. So i changed the case because my case was way bigger with more fans and the video card would fit. When i changed the case my computer would not boot up, the led light on the mother board would just turn on. So i thought it was my video card. I disconnected everything from the mother board and left the video card on. To notice the when the computer was on the video cards fan would not turn on. Then i noticed there was a second connection on the motherboard ontop of the video card to plug in more power. so i pluged it in turned on my computer and the video cards fan turned on. but still no picture. after like 5 minutes i smells smoke and my power supply over heated and burned out. so i bought a new power supply and tryied again. This time i connected a POST card and noticed that the motherboard would not supply power to any cards or harddrives, just the led lighton the motherboard. The POST card showed FF on the the reading. I need help im baffled sorry for writing so much.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

We need more information about the video card you were trying to add to this system.

My first guess is that this was an AGP card that you were trying to add and that maybe you were trying to add a AGP version 2 card (1.5v) to a AGP version 1 system (3.3) or the other way around.

Does the system have onboard video...?
Will it boot without the video card
Do you have a different video card to try like maybe an old PCI card...
I keep one around just to troubleshoot systems...

Can you try that video card (you tried to add to this system) in the system you got it from.?

You may have smoked the video card or the motherboard...

Hello,
the motherboard does not have an onboard video card, it came with a video card that worked in the old case. But wen i changed the case the video card did not work so i assumed it was the video card. Nvidia geforce 2. So i replaced it with my new working video card that has a fan and it still didn't work so i put it bak in my other computer. And it did not smoke my original card since i gave it to my cuzin to use on his games. Its all AGP yes. i have no pci cards and even if i remove all components from mother board it seems like the power wont go past the chip

Hi, when you changed the case. The one that you used comes with its own power supply? or did you use the same one that came with gateway. This branded PC like Dell and compaq,HP etc. they use custom manufactured PSU.
They actually will short out your MB if you will use PSU other than the one that comes with them. Or it could be a grounded MB also, check your chassis for any contact with the mobo.

:lol: Hi, when you changed the case. The one that you used comes with its own power supply? or did you use the same one that came with gateway. This branded PC like Dell and compaq,HP etc. they use custom manufactured PSU.
They actually will short out your MB if you will use PSU other than the one that comes with them. Or it could be a grounded MB also, check your chassis for any contact with the mobo. :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.