I can't figure this one out at all...

I have an HP Pavilion with two optical drives - 1 is a DVD writer, the other a reader. Whenever I copy an audio disc on the fly, the burn is fine and everything is normal but for some reason, when I exit the program, the DVD-ROM is now unable to recognize DVD discs. It will read audio discs and audio discs (and the writer can read everything; it's apparently unaffected by whatever this is), but it won't read DVDs. If I reboot, everything is hunky-dory again (unless I copy an audio CD again...)

I initially thought that this was software related (and it still could be) but the problem occurs no matter what burning software I use. I've used Sonic RecordNow, Nero and Roxio. Every time I copy an audio disc, something is turning off the DVD read capabilities of the DVD-ROM drive.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here? It's a fairly new system and it's far from a crippling problem. It's just annoying the hell out of me. I'd appreciate any enlightenment...

I could be the media, some optical devices will not read DVD+r.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.