im not sure if this is the right place to ask but since i dont know any person who is expert on computers personally, i went here. My mom bought me an ideapad LENOVO laptop with Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU m 370 @4.20GHz
and ram= 2.00GB
i didnt ask for much laptop and since this is the cheapest we bought it. IM 16 yrs old an Information Technology student (2nd year) since im only just a student i didnt ask for much of a laptop but my classmate told me that a LENOVO laptop is a trash and i was hurt is that true?
as for my observation right now..i think it performs normally :( what do you think guys?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

ideapad LENOVO laptop with Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU m 370 @4.20GHz
and ram= 2.00GB

if it's just for programming or computer science need then your specs is more than enough.
Mine is about the same as yours though I'm using an acer laptop and I haven't
encountered any problem in my years

but my classmate told me that a LENOVO laptop is a trash and i was hurt is that true?

did you ask why does he think it's trash?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU m 370 @4.20GHz + RAM 2 GB is OK but:

You didn't say which version of Windows it was running but since it was bought recently it is almost certainly Windows 7 - in which case I would defintely add another 2GB of RAM. This is VERY easy to do and should not invalidate any warranty.

Go to http://www.crucial.com/UK

On the webpage look up your laptop by entering the make and model (you didnt tell us).
It will tell you exactly what RAM chips you need to buy and how much. Crucial's prices are good and the quality is excellent - trust me, you do not want cheap, dodgy RAM in your computer!

The site will also tell you how many memory "slots" your laptop has and if you have one or two of them filled. Laptops usually have two slots and manufacturers usually put in the cheapest RAM they can get, so in your case it is likely to have 2 x 1GB chips. You can keep one, but I'd advise you to just replace them with one 4GB RAM chip - it should cost you no more than £20 UK.

Another hot tip is to install Open Office - it's like Microsoft Office, reads and writes the same files but is ... FREE. Unlike Microsoft Office, where even the student version is around £100.

http://www.openoffice.org/

You are 16 and young. There are many people you will come across in life that are hurtful and rude. You'll have to learn how to deal with that as you get older.

With regard to your laptop, its perfectly fine. You have quite a bit of computing power there. If you need additional performance out of the laptop, you could upgrade the RAM as vreeblebox suggested. If you are running a 32bit version of windows, more RAM isnt going to help much. however, if you are running a 64bit version of Windows, you could benefit by upgrading the RAM module.

I wouldnt spend any additional money until you start using the laptop and see how it works out for you.

Oh - and you can tell your rude friend that Lenovo are the company who made (and make) the PCs and laptops for IBM. They are some of the best engineered and robust machines on the planet - indeed, there used to be a business catch-phrase:

"No-one ever got fired for buying IBM."

An interesting fact: The history of your computer goes right back to the dawn of computing.

The man who invented computers was a British inventor called Charles Babbage, back in the 1840s, and his young friend and protege invented programming. Her name was Lady Ada Lovelace and she was the only daughter of the famous English poet, Lord Byron.

When Babbage died, his ideas for a programmmable calculating machine were adapted by a German-American called Hermann Hollerith, who used it to create electric calculators to run the 1890 census of the USA. They took just one year (the 1800 census took 8 years). This made Hollerith rich, and he created a company called the Tabulating Machine Company that in 1924 became part of International Business Machines - IBM. 80 years later, in 2005, IBM's desktop and laptop manufacturing were spun off to the Chinese company who made them - Lenovo...

And almost all the laptops I have used in the last twenty years have been IBM or Lenovo Thinkpads and Ideapads. In fact, we have four in use at home right now, and have just specc'd two i3 Ideapads as the basis for home/travel systems for two of my clients.

Lenovo rules! :-)

That is a low-specced laptop by modern standards, but it's not a cheap piece of trash by merit of being made by Lenovo, your classmate is an idiot. It's cheap because Lenovo's Ideapad line is a bunch of cheap laptops. Obviously if you're going to get the laptop that costs the least, it's going to be one of the worst laptops out there.

Also the CPU is two generations old, assuming I'm reading you correctly. I assume you mean an i3-370M, and 2.4GHz. It will suffer from significantly worse battery life that it would get with a later generation. However, it's powerful enough for any modern need, unless you want to play graphics-intensive video games.

It's a laptop, not part of your identity, so you shouldn't care if it gets insulted.

Member Avatar for HTMLperson5

with Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU m 370 @4.20GHz
and ram= 2.00GB

I actually have almost the same specs, and I am running CPU intensive programs every day. It's pretty capable.
To be honest, I think processesors like i7 are a little unessecery

To be honest, I think processesors like i7 are a little unessecery

I always recommend that people looking to buy a new PC, not spend their dollars on the latest CPU, but to use it on components such as their hard drive which is the slowest component on the system. The difference between the latest CPU and the next latest is enough to get real nice upgrades on faster, better storage, which ultimately makes the PC perform much better.

real nice upgrades on faster, better storage, which ultimately makes the PC perform much better

Good point, Jorge. I have fitted solid-state drives (SSD) to our Thinkpad X200s and they fly along even with 4-year-old Core 2 Duo CPUs - though the cost of large SSDs is high now, they are coming down in price every month.

its a good configured laptop for normal use... good luck :)

Oww thanks guys because my classmate thinks that he knows everything about computers :)

The reply for your question is now given by a Lenovo laptop itself used from 3 years.
The configuratiton you have got is really a good one but you had a better option to go with the 2nd generation processor.

Also, the processor of what you have mentioned is not 4.2 GHz but its 2.4 GHz. Your system will support a maximum of 8 GB DDR3 RAM and its a good one for you to use for the next 3 years.

SNIP

@Dedra what do you mean by 2nd generation processor?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.