On Friday morning, the electric went off for a very short amount of time. My Gateway is plugged into a power surge protector. Monitor works on another computer but goes into "analog power save mode" within seconds of rebooting offending computer. On startup, the fan runs and runs and runs and sounds like a jet engine. No beeps or chirps. Gateway tech suggests replacing video card. Mine has two. How do I know which one? Any suggestions from someone who is familiar with the insides of these computers? I purchased the Gateway new in December of 2005. Shouldn't my surge protector have prevented this? Your help is appreciated. I can be found at poolev@cox.net

On Friday morning, the electric went off for a very short amount of time. My Gateway is plugged into a power surge protector. Monitor works on another computer but goes into "analog power save mode" within seconds of rebooting offending computer. On startup, the fan runs and runs and runs and sounds like a jet engine. No beeps or chirps. Gateway tech suggests replacing video card. Mine has two. How do I know which one? Any suggestions from someone who is familiar with the insides of these computers? I purchased the Gateway new in December of 2005. Shouldn't my surge protector have prevented this? Your help is appreciated. I can be found at poolev@cox.net

Solution found! Right before I was reduced to calling the Geek Squad, it occurred to me that perhaps the surge protector had worked. So, I plugged the power cords into the wall directly, and guess what? It worked. So I guess the surge protector locked out some of the power surge. But, as a result, I plan to research UPS and surge protectors more fully. I believe that I should also look into protection for our new HDTV. Thanks for all of your "help"??

"reduced to calling the Geek Squad"...

^_^

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.