Hello everyone, I have a problem regarding my hardware not detecting my CPU. I am using an intel pentium 4 computer using windows xp home edition.

The problem is, since 2 days ago, After I would boot up my PC, my mouse (which would normally turn red) keyboard (which would normally turn green) and monitor do not detect that it has just powered on.

I have tried replacing the monitor, mouse and keyboard, all to no avail.
After starting up the PC, the monitor still displays the message: "Self Test, Check your PC and Signal Cable Monitor is Working" which I deter is the message when the monitor believes the PC is not turned on? This is the probem, because the PC IS on. The computer will not even go to the stage where it displays the Windows XP screen in black, or the systems information (at bootup).

I don't understand why the three would not detect powerup, because all of the plugs and wires are still connected just as they were 3 days ago (when it was still working).

The PC itself will also not shut down when pressing the standard shut down button, instead, I have to go around to the back and press the power switch which I think may be harmful, having have pressed it numerous times in the attempt to fix it.

I dont want to have to rely on a computer tech because rates around here are all very expensive and was wondering if this problem could be fixed more easily. I'd be much obliged for any help or tips.

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi start by Reseating the memory or move it to another slot, if that doesn't work try reseating the CPU

how do i reset the memory?
and by resetting the cpu do you mean to power off/on ?

thanks for the reply

Hello everyone, I have a problem regarding my hardware not detecting my CPU. .

hardware not detecting cpu!! strange ,are you sure its not the power supply not suppling enough power to actually boot the computer up completely ,this would be my first suggestion,obtain a new power supply and install it and see what happens.sometimes the power supply will turn on fans and lights but not enough power to fully boot computer

how do i reset the memory?
and by resetting the cpu do you mean to power off/on ?

thanks for the reply

they said re-seating ,actually removing the p4 chip from motherboard and plugging it back in ,the reason computer tech charge so much!!

ok so i should just move the power source to somewhere else?
And I think the machine is recieving enough power because all other USB hardware seem to function just fine. Any other suggestions?
They would be very helpful as this is very frustrating, I have a chem. thesis saved inside which is due in 2 days :( Oh life is cruel

thank you

ok so i should just move the power source to somewhere else?
And I think the machine is recieving enough power because all other USB hardware seem to function just fine. Any other suggestions?
They would be very helpful as this is very frustrating, I have a chem. thesis saved inside which is due in 2 days :( Oh life is cruel

thank you

what usb hardware!! i not talking power source i'm talking about the power supply inside the computer ,i converts the power source from household current 120 v to 12 volts

here are few question/tips for u
when u start the pc do u hear the power supply and harddisk humming. does the hdd activity light comes on the front of the pc if these sound are absent you motherboard is dead. u can power on and off as much as u like. if u answer yes to any of the above questions then you stand a chance of getting the pc to start. u might want to check the power conn and cable connecting your devices to the mobo.

i have a same problem,
i already check my PSU and my graphic card..
but that monitor till can't detect
please help me

This is a 4 year old thread. You need to start a new thread of your own.

commented: Yup i agreed. +7

If all the problems aren't solvable and you got the crucial data in your HDD, carefully remove it form your computer, find it's external cover(sold in PC stores, either SATA or PATA) to make it external HDD. Take that HDD to another computer and access your data.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.