I'm currently in the process of imagine a bunch of new Lenovo 3000 J series desktops which have the AMD Athlon 64 processor and a gig of memory.

We only received 4 of the Lenovo's with the AMD processors in them, the rest were all Intel's. Presumedly, this happened because they were ordered at different times.

I was able to image the 100 or so Intel based lenovo's we received with generally no problem whatsoever. But I've smacked into a wall when trying to image these AMD based systems and it's driving me bonkers.

Here's what happens. I created the original image on one of the machines. I downgraded from Vista to XP and before I took the image, I made sure everything worked fine. When I pushed the image out to the other machines, it seems like it takes fine and completes with no errors. When I go to boot the machines, they run through the Lenovo splash screen but stop dead after that to where it just sits at a black screen with a little blinking "_".

So I originally thought the image I created was crap. I took a separate machine, built it from scratch, made sure it worked, took the image, pushed the image out to the remaining machines.... Same thing happens.

Does Ghost not like AMD 64 bit processors because that's the only thing thats different from the Intel based Lenovos? FYI it's Ghost version 11.0.1.

Cheers.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hi justin, you could be right the image you clone on intel processor may not work on amd processor..but try cloning an hdd running amd processor then load that also on the machine running amd processor..or you can try either way..use the clone image from amd to load on the machine using intel..see what will happen..

Well, here's the thing. I took an image of the AMD machine and it's that image I was trying to push out to the other AMD machines. I wasn't trying to push out an Intel image to AMD machines.

In fact, I took two images from two different AMD machines and both of them ended up having the same problem after pushing the image out to other AMD machines. Maybe the version of Ghost I have isn't compatible with AMD 64 processors. That's the only conclusion I'm really coming to.

hi, make sure that all machines have the same specs, as far as i know win xp is very sensitive, for example if you just add a new hardware or remove a hardware from the system when you try to boot, sometimes it will greet you with the BSOD.. so if you clone a system and you load the image to another machine with different specs i think it will not work...

hi, make sure that all machines have the same specs, as far as i know win xp is very sensitive, for example if you just add a new hardware or remove a hardware from the system when you try to boot, sometimes it will greet you with the BSOD.. so if you clone a system and you load the image to another machine with different specs i think it will not work...

Thanks for the response.

That's what's driving me nuts is that these machines DO have all the same specs. They're 4 identical machines. Same processor, same memory, system board, etc.

It doesn't matter now, I built them from scratch which was a pain but it was only 4 machines. Thanks again for the response!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.