Need help with a problem. Pretty new to this kind of stuff.

You require an algorithm that will receive an integer from the screen, add 5 to it, double it , subtract 7 from it and display the final number.

Pretty much I am confused what I need to put in the input, processing and output.

Any help and explanations greatly appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Thus far, I have came up with ...

Input - Would be Integer_1

Processing - Prompt for Integer_1

Output - Total.

After that I am lost.

What language are you doing this in?

Need help with a problem. Pretty new to this kind of stuff.

You require an algorithm that will receive an integer from the screen, add 5 to it, double it , subtract 7 from it and display the final number.

Pretty much I am confused what I need to put in the input, processing and output.

Any help and explanations greatly appreciated

Well the first step would be to write down what happens, in a "this happens then that happens" format, such as:
1) Prompt the user for the number
2) Put that response into an input integer variable outside the method
3) Call the method/function and pass the integer variable in (by value) as a parameter
4) Have the method calculate and return the value to a result integer variable
5) Display that variable

The second step is to do some sample cases on scratch paper so you know what the expected output should be (in case you have errors in your math/processing).

Pseudocode would be something like this:
Prompt would be some predefined function that returns a value that the user entered

Integer inputValue = Prompt("Input Integer")
Integer finalValue = Calculate(inputValue)
Display finalValue in text format

Function Calculate(integerValue) Returns Integer
{
Return (((integerValue + 5) * 2) - 7)
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.