I was planning on taking a program regarding haskell, but I don't know if its the good thing.. I mean... some said its like out of style ... I am still searching and trying to know if I need it ... or if I need to learn more about functional programing, since I already know OOP ...

I mean ... is it still used ? if so where ? and how good is it , I know some languages are better than others in some cases but in a one case haskell is good , is there something which worth studying over it ?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you want to start functional programming, perhaps you should consider F#, the new kid in town. It has some roots in Haskell and Ocaml.

I was planning on taking a program regarding haskell, but I don't know if its the good thing.. I mean... some said its like out of style ...

That's mistaken. Haskell is more "in style" than it has ever been.

Edit: I'm not saying it's popular, but it's more popular than it ever has been.

I am still searching and trying to know if I need it ... or if I need to learn more about functional programing, since I already know OOP ...

I thought I "knew" OOP, but having learned Haskell caused a change in my opinion.

It is definitely worth learning. After learning Haskell well, you will have a better sense of how to take advantage of other language's type systems. Also, you'll have a better sense of how other language's type systems limit you. Also, you'll get a better sense of program design and well-engineered, user-friendly data structure design.

You should not go with F# in place of Haskell. F# is a compromise between the goals of making a good functional programming language and running on the .NET platform. If you came here saying "I'm looking for a good language to use for writing .NET programs," I would recommend F#. It's a good language. But since you came here asking about learning functional programming, you should go with Haskell. Type classes (a Haskell feature) are worth learning.

If you are planning to study functional language and want to get deep understanding of the subject, then I would suggest using Haskell. However, if you have a good background in any functional language ( OCaml, Lisp ), then you could study F#, as it is a part of Visual studio 2010. So, probably you could use it somewhere in real life. And Haskell is more for educational purposes, at this moment, as functional languages are just getting popular.

But who knows, maybe in several years, functional languages will be more popular than OO programming. But even, if it won't, by learning a functional language, you will gain useful knowledge, which can be used in OO languages, and there are already some parts of functional language in C# for instance (Lambda function).

So, grab a good book about haskell, or go to their tutorial page and get started ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.