a multilevel index using a B-tree is to be made for a file with 600,000 records. A block contains 1500 bytes, a key is 10 bytes, a pointer is 5 bytes and a data record is 100 bytes.

a)What is the order of the tree?(assume tree node=a disk block)

600000recordsX100 bytes gives me total file size.
So a block would contain 15 records.

According to the definition in my book the order of a B-tree is the maximum number of descendants that a node in the B-tree can have.

b) How many blocks are required to hold the B-tree records at the lowest level.

2^n would give me the number of descendants at the lowest level where n is order of tree?

c)if at most 5000 bytes can be allocated in memory for the in memory portion of the index, what should the order be so that "sufficient" index blocks can be kept in memory

Please help really confused.

a multilevel index using a b-tree is to be made for a file with 600,000 records. A block contains 1500 bytes, a key is 10 bytes, a pointer is 5 bytes and a data record is 100 bytes.

a)what is the order of the tree?(assume tree node=a disk block)

600000recordsx100 bytes gives me total file size.
So a block would contain 15 records.

According to the definition in my book the order of a b-tree is the maximum number of descendants that a node in the b-tree can have.

b) how many blocks are required to hold the b-tree records at the lowest level.

2^n would give me the number of descendants at the lowest level where n is order of tree?

c)if at most 5000 bytes can be allocated in memory for the in memory portion of the index, what should the order be so that "sufficient" index blocks can be kept in memory

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.