Any file's primary header contains some things which are common to all operating system like entry point function, time stamp etc and then other things. What is the purpose of keeping this time stamp in the header.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Which date? Creation? Last Write? Last Access?
All seem important to me, albeit to differing degrees.

And what are you considering a header?

Okay, honestly speaking I don't know the exact contents of time stamp.

And what are you considering a header?

The header I am talking about is the one attached by a linker which is removed when a program becomes a process (i.e. brought into memory). Since linkers are operating system dependent their headers differ from OS to OS. But there are a few common things which every linker adds to the header of a (can say COFF) file. One such thing being Time stamp. I want to know what is this time stamp exactly and what difference would it make if this primary header of a file does not contain any time stamp as such

Look here, specifically in the discussion of "bound imports". This is the only use I am aware of.

Look here, specifically in the discussion of "bound imports". This is the only use I am aware of.

Hey thanks a lot for your reply .I' ll go through the link

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.