I am not sure if it is possible, but I am creating a SAS report using ODS HTML and I am saving it as a .xls so it is opened with Microsoft Excel. I am wondering if it is possible to program in the page breaks, so that I can control what tables show up on what pages and to prevent parts of tables being orphaned from the rest of the table. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Hi there,

I was trying to do the same with HTML for Excel, and so far the only option I see is to insert RowBreak XML tags into HTML header where Excel-related settings are kept when generating the report. Excel does not understand CSS attributes such as page-break-after, page-break-before or page-break-inside. Also on W3C website it is said to avoid using these attributes inside tables, what in Excel is the main container element usually.

My initial testing went with Excel 2003.Today tried to test with 2007 version and it is still the same, CSS page-breaks are not understood and this is probably because the file is named with *.xls extension and maybe Excel 2007 tries to render HTML/XLS document with Excel 2003 engine.

Anyway, if you find out anything usefull, please tell me, because I don't want to leave page-break adjusting to user, everything has to be automatic. Thanks. :icon_confused:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.