I need help with the exact problem this thread is titled with. To refresh your memory: I Need to know how to create a database that will generate a random number. It's to create a registry system.

You're probably going to have to do this via code, or using a random function in an INSERT statement - I'm not aware of a DB that will create a random value automatically. If you're using Access then you might be able to use some VB code to put a random number, or even a GUID, into a field when a record is inserted.

If your DB supports stored procedures then you could probably write one of those to do it.

Any reason you can't just use an auto-increment field?

J

You're probably going to have to do this via code, or using a random function in an INSERT statement - I'm not aware of a DB that will create a random value automatically. If you're using Access then you might be able to use some VB code to put a random number, or even a GUID, into a field when a record is inserted.

If your DB supports stored procedures then you could probably write one of those to do it.

Any reason you can't just use an auto-increment field?

J

Because I don't even know what that means. I'm a rookie, as in, I've only been at this about three days. And now I can clarify a little bit

I need to create a form that will allow one to attach a picture, and when said person sends the form, the "whatever" will generate a "random" number. Which apparently should be a number that is in sequence with another number and only appears random (one of my friends explained it to me like that, doesn't mean I understand). Then I need a database to store said info and that will allow people to look it up when needed

I am an idiot, I freely admit that.

Because I don't even know what that means. I'm a rookie, as in, I've only been at this about three days. And now I can clarify a little bit

I need to create a form that will allow one to attach a picture, and when said person sends the form, the "whatever" will generate a "random" number. Which apparently should be a number that is in sequence with another number and only appears random (one of my friends explained it to me like that, doesn't mean I understand). Then I need a database to store said info and that will allow people to look it up when needed

I am an idiot, I freely admit that.

:) I'm an idiot, too.

By the sounds of it, you just need a primary key field with a number in it - primary key means that every row of the table will - and must - have a unique value in this field. You can set the database to fill this field in automatically. If you're using Microsoft Access, then just create a field called ID whose type is Autonumber. MySQL has an auto-increment property for fields, I can't remember the syntax, but I can look it up.

Anyway, I wouldn't go messing around with random numbers unless this is really needed for some reason, a unique number field will do fine.

J

Hi,

i am very new to Mysql and php. i was wondering if anybody can help with a problem.

i have a html form that the user enters in details and when they click submit button this information is stored in the database but i have a field called ticket number and i want it to automatically generate a ticket number. this can be either all numeric or a mixture of numbers and letters.

i have no idea how to even begin to code this. Any Suggestion / sample code would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

scoobie.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.